• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Reviews?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to plan my next tire purchase. As much as I would like a set of 31/10.5 TSL's, I'm afraid the tire wear is a major issue as this is also my DD. I'm the broke college student with child/old lady/bills clear up to my eyes. My A/T's let me down the other day in the Virginia clay around locally and I'm looking at M/T's.

I found the Dunlop Mud Rovers within my price range and was wondering how many of you had used them and on what terrain. How they worked, ya-da ya-da.

terry, my brother's (now sold) xj, had those in a 32" flavor. he came out here a few times to do the trails. for what he paid for them, they did well.

we did bobcat/bent mtn in some nasty slick conditions and he did well.

IMG_4012.jpg

the tires are caked up in that pic, but he made it up that cutout to the transition where it wants to flop you over to the other side and he stopped there.

and no issues at all on any of the other holes on that trail...

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

P1010018.jpg

and they hold their own on the rocks on potts:

IMG_1272.jpg

he was able to do the bypass with relative ease with open/open axles.

while he didn't drive it daily, he drove it 8+ hours to come out here and i never heard him complain

I looked at the mud rovers when I was looking for M/T tires and ended up reading buyer reviews on tirerack. From what I remember, the majority of the people were disappointed with the mileage they were getting out of them. I ended up going with the cooper discovery ST, you could step it up to the STT, but then the mileage goes down as well. The ST's are rated around 50K, the STTs at 40K.

I run the BFG mud terains in the 32/12.5r15 flavor. I love the traction that they give me on all surfaces, and have over 30k on them already, still going strong. I know they're expensive, but its better than having to buy a new set every 10k miles!

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Starving student looking for a good mud terrain that will serve as a DD and still handle some clay.

I've done a bit of research of the subject. BFG MT are proven to be a good DD and still do very well off road. But I don't think I want those, only because everyone else in my area seems to run them. I also looked at Maxxis Bighorns. These seems to perform just as well as the BFGs, if not better. They are also a nice compromise tire. One tire that I have recently been investigating is the Yokohama Geolander MT. From what I've read, this is a very good tire. The only thing is that it's a directional tire. Anyone have any experience with these?

A friend has been running a set of 33's for the last couple years and seems happy with tread life. Let me PM him this thread and see if he will chime in.

terryd said:
I've looked at those alot! I considered running them, but everyone I know has told me that re-caps on a DD like mine are a bad idea. I dunno.

I've only heard about 1 or 2 of those retreads coming apart - the technology behind retreads has come a long way.

That said, I also hear they don't always start with the best carcasses, and get a lot more flats than other tires as the sidewalls are already pretty worn..

I ran a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers and they were the worst tires I ever used, thank god I borowed them and didn't buy them. They did horrible compared to BFG M/T's which I have been running for a long time. Like other people said they also wore out very quick and were scary on the ice. Check out the Truxus M/T, lots of people love them and they are something different than a BFG M/T.

That's what I run. I like 'em pretty well.

They are good in sand and seem ok in mud (don't get a lot of that in So Cal!). Seem ok in rocks, but if the rocks are smooth, they will spin, so so will anything that isn't bias ply and a real soft compound.

They have worn well. They "chunk" about medium, so the rubber is probably a good comprimise between pavement durable and offroad soft.

They do seem a little slippery in submerged payment, but I don't have any other 33x12.5 foot print expirence to compare that to. With that much of a surface, it's probably very hard to clear all the water out of the way.

bburge (Hey Cal!)

Maxxis=cheap, sturdy, nice lugs

I love the Maxxis Bighorns for the price and quality. Mine have held up great DD and wheelin in Colorado and on the Rubicon in Cali.

have you looked into used tires? maybe mud tires would be hard to find, but ive seen a few places in my area that sells used tires.

also look into retreads.

Boognish015 said:
I've done a bit of research of the subject. BFG MT are proven to be a good DD and still do very well off road. But I don't think I want those, only because everyone else in my area seems to run them.

Unless you hang out with a bunch of mall crawlers, wouldn't you want a tire that everyone has good luck with on the local terrain? Using equipment that doesn't work as well just to be "different" doesn't seem like a very good idea. But to each his own.

bburge said:
That's what I run. I like 'em pretty well.

They are good in sand and seem ok in mud (don't get a lot of that in So Cal!). Seem ok in rocks, but if the rocks are smooth, they will spin, so so will anything that isn't bias ply and a real soft compound.

They have worn well. They "chunk" about medium, so the rubber is probably a good comprimise between pavement durable and offroad soft.

They do seem a little slippery in submerged payment, but I don't have any other 33x12.5 foot print expirence to compare that to. With that much of a surface, it's probably very hard to clear all the water out of the way.

bburge (Hey Cal!)

which tire were you talking about? Trxus? Maxxis? Dunlop?

98XJSport said:
Unless you hang out with a bunch of mall crawlers, wouldn't you want a tire that everyone has good luck with on the local terrain? Using equipment that doesn't work as well just to be "different" doesn't seem like a very good idea. But to each his own.

Yeah that is a good point. But this is the exact reason I'm doing some research: so that I can find a tire that performs possibly better than the status quo, while not looking the same as every kid around here.

Speaking of that anyone running the Yokohama Geolanders MT? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

i have a set of Mud rovers in the 35" size. They do ok in the mud and rocks but sidewall failure is a pretty big problem with them. I havent personaly ran into a problem but a guy in the local club blows one on pretty much every run.
I was very impressed in the snow with them last night tho and in the wet clay that was under the snow in places.

Back