• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phantom Ignition Cut-Out NON-CPS

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had this happen a few years back and swapped in a new CPS and it cleared up. Driving along, ignition stumbles and dies. Bring her to a stop and cranks up OK, drive a little bit and it happens again. It's like the spark just decides to take a vacation for a little bit. This weekend I put in a new CPS sensor and thought for a little while it was fixed, but I was delusional. I guess it is possible Discount Auto Parts sold me a bad part, is there a way to check the part on its own? Behind CPS being the main suspect, what would the #2 suspicion be? TIA.... Bill-93XJ

Often when that happens, it's the CPS wires cooking on the exhaust manifold.
It may be fuel, it may be something in your sensor circuit, a malf CPS will shut off the fuel and the spark.
I'd do a key MIL code test and see what pops up, if anything.
Test the "A" and "B" pins on your CPS connector for 5 volts. Sometimes when another sensor malfs (shorts or low resistance) it sucks the voltage down to the CPS. Cam position sensor can do this among others. The rear O2 sensor is another hot spot for shorts.
Do a fuel pressure test.

Back