• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thank you all for the advice!

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So i have read and read and read, and i decided to change my denso plugs back to factor y champions. BEST IDEA YET! So the iddle is better, starts quicker, runs smother, and the tourge just feels way more smoother! So this fixed my whole engine misfire aswell, for like 10 mins. Thats right this thing ran like new with is 200,000 miles with its new plugs for about 10 mins, then right back to the attrocious missfire. Not just one cylinder but an entire engine misfire like a circuit breaker between the coil wire to the distributer keeps triping and reseting. Horrible i tell you. The cam and crank sensors have been replace along with the TPS today with the new plugs. Why is it still doing it. Reset the computer, same thing ran excellent for about 10 mins then slowly gets back to it original state only now it seems like it only does it when it is pulling, or when its loaded down. So is it fuel delivery now? I'm lost and getting fed up, o and to boot i need a new rear output seal on my t-case noticied that it is slinging fluid everywhere(upside, e-brake cable is staying well lubed)

94XJ2door5speed said:
So is it fuel delivery now? I'm lost and getting fed up, o and to boot i need a new rear output seal on my t-case noticied that it is slinging fluid everywhere(upside, e-brake cable is staying well lubed)

Have you changed the fuel filter lately? If you hit the red dirt often, then the fuel filter may need to be changed more often. Red dirt is nasty on fuel systems.

how did the old plugs look when you pulled em out? any of them black or wet? it sounds like you are fouling plugs.

The fuel filter was replaced 1000 miles ago, only been in the mud once, cap rotor wires, all got 1000 miles on them. I'll get a pic of the plugs you be the judge.

denso2.jpg

denso4.jpg

denso.jpg

sorry only have a cell phone for pics
i think they fine but hell i thought they would actually work.
when i replaced the fuel filter at 198,000 miles it was still the stock unit and alot of gunk came out with it, could it be time for another filter?

umm don't think so but could it be the ignition coil? I think though if it was then even when i reset the computer it would skip all the time and not just when its under a load.

si re-checked the new plugs, looks to me there running lean, filter or pump not sure but i seem to have plenty of pressure at the rail.

Another possibility would be the O2 sensor. My 94 ran great on first start but as it went from running open loop thern the Jeep ran like crap. That is when the Jeep goes into closed loop mode and uses yje O2 sensor. Good luck. P.S. If you do remove the O2 sensor run the engine to get it hot it comes out of the exhaust easier,but watch yourself so you don't get burned.

If it's the O2 sensor causing the problems when the computer goes into closed loop mode, you could try unplugging the O2 sensor and see if it runs better. I'd also suspect a bad coil.

What happened to the factory Champion plugs you said you put in?

The champions are in now there pretty white which suggests its running lean somewhere in the mid range. Would the O2 sensor cause this? and if it were the coil then it would just not work at all wouldn't it?

94XJ2door5speed said:
The champions are in now there pretty white which suggests its running lean somewhere in the mid range. Would the O2 sensor cause this? and if it were the coil then it would just not work at all wouldn't it?

if it were the coil, wouldnt it run rich? i agree it sounds like the coil is getting hot and shutting down. try this; when it missfires turn the engine off and pull over. then check the plugs.

lean would be fuel. did you test the fuel pressure with a guage or just quirt some out the schrader valve. just because you get some out of the valve doesnt mean the regulator is working properly.

89xj said:
if it were the coil, wouldnt it run rich? i agree it sounds like the coil is getting hot and shutting down. try this; when it missfires turn the engine off and pull over. then check the plugs.

lean would be fuel. did you test the fuel pressure with a guage or just quirt some out the schrader valve. just because you get some out of the valve doesnt mean the regulator is working properly.

Wear is the best place to get a guage that can thread onto the valve i got it checked once at a shop they said it was fine but they didnt tell me what it was.

You can get the gauge at almost any autoparts store. Sears even has them in there little auto tools section.

Ok cool, anyone else have any good ideas. My list is fuel pressure, possibly filter, then check 02 sensor, and maybe ignition coil. Just to let you know if i replace both the O2 and ignition coil, the only sensor left that hasn't been replaced is the computer itself! What is the ideal fuel pressure at idle i'm looking for?

Back