• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 on 5.5" to 8 on 6.5" wheel adapters?

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
Half way through my rear axle swop excersize this nice HP D44 front axle crosses my path. Now I know that to gain the full benefit of such a nice axle one should use as much of if as possible, incl. the free wheel hubs, etc. However to do this, I'll sit with 8 on 6.5" stud spacing on the front axle (the width I'm not too worried about as I'll cut it down and get shorter shafts)

The rear D44 I'm swopping in currently has 6 on 5.5" stud spacing, but it is also a little narrower than the stock axle width for an XJ, so my plan was to adapt the rear stud spacing to the stock 5 on 4.5" using wheel spacer/adapters. Seeing that I was going to do this in anycase, does anyone know of it would be possible to adapt the 6 on 5.5" spacing to 8 on 6.5"? It looks like at least two studs will be very close to each other. If this is possible in the rear, the HP D44 could be a potential option for me.

I use 6 on 5.5 adapters, but this was only going to be temporary. While it has been a while, I don't want it forever. If I'm not mistaken, 8 on 6.5 are the same. They have to be 2 piece adapters. Mine are 2". More bolts to work loose. They can be a pain for tire changes. Mine have not came loose since I locked tighted them down, but they did once before. You wheel can fall off.

TNT, that is quite a nice writeup on a HP D44 build. Unfortunately for me the Chevy 10 bolt and Grand Wagoneers are very scarce here in South Africa (although not impossible to find). I'll have a look around.

Powerman, are you adapting from the stock PCD ( 5 on 4.5") to 6 on 5.5"? Is so, I can understand how that can work nicely. I've drawn the 6 on 5.5 and 8 on 6.5 stud spacings on paper and tried to position them in such a way that there would be enough "meat" to be able to adapt, but it doesn't look like it will work, saying that - that would be for a one piece adapter. How does a two piece adapter work? Does it go from a 6 on 5.5" to a 5 on ?? spacing and then from the 5 on ?? spacing to the 8 on 6.5"?

Back