• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Gear Pattern Check

waxer

JEEP APPRENTICE
Staff member
NAXJA Member
Spooled XJ D44 Rear, 4.88's....

Backlash = .006
Pinion Preload = 18 IN/lbs
Pinion Depth Shim = .040

Drive Side 1
DSC06007.JPG

Drive Side 2
DSC06009.JPG

Coast Side 1
DSC06011.JPG

Coast Side 2
DSC06012.JPG

Whatcha think? It looks like I might need to bring the pinion deeper just a bit, but I'm looking for opinions.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Not that I have any experience waxer but the drive side looks mint! Cant wait to do mine, still acquiring the tools. Good luck.

Pinion is just a bit shallow,try to move the pattern down.Try to maintain that backlash as the heel/toe looks great!

JJacobs said:
That's showing at least .005" shallow on both sides.

RCP Phx said:
Pinion is just a bit shallow,try to move the pattern down.Try to maintain that backlash as the heel/toe looks great!

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I just needed some confirmation, as my fatigue level last night would have resulted in me just running what I had. :)

I'll bring the pinion in. Thanks.

jeeperjohn said:
You need to remove some shim from the pinion. The pattern is too deep. Also .006" sounds a bit tight, .008"-.010" would be more comfy.

You just lost your gear install e-license, it's the other way around.

hehe

Tonight I'll add .005 to the pinion shim and see where she's at.

JJacobs said:
You just lost your gear install e-license, it's the other way around.
On a 44, adding shims next to the inside bearing of the pinion sets it farther into the housing (closer to the ring gear), no? Therefore, if the pinion is too deep, removing shims would set it less deep (farther from the ring gear) in the housing. It's been a little while since I did a 44.

jeeperjohn said:
On a 44, adding shims next to the inside bearing of the pinion sets it farther into the housing (closer to the ring gear), no? Therefore, if the pinion is too deep, removing shims would set it less deep (farther from the ring gear) in the housing. It's been a little while since I did a 44.

He wasn't talking about the method. He was talking about your diagnosis.

I think we all agreed that the pinion is too shallow and needs to be set deeper.

Ok. Added .005 to the pinion. Here's what I got for patterns and what I'm going to run with.

Backlash = .007
Pinion Preload = 18 IN/lbs
Pinion Depth Shim = .045

Drive Side Final 1
DSC06013.JPG

Drive Side Final 2
DSC06016.JPG

Coast Side Final 1
DSC06017.JPG

Coast Side Final 2
DSC06018.JPG

looks purdy to me. but then again, I am just learning myself.....

Back