• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep blowing fuse

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says my 87 wagoneer limited 4.0 auto keeps blowing the HAZ/BRAKE LIGHT fuse. It started out I lost my headlights which I troubleshot down to the headlight switch. But after I replaced the switch my turn signals went out. OK. Troubleshot it down to the turn signal switch inthe column Replaced that all is good right. WRONG . Now when I hit the brakes or turn on the flashers the fuse blows. I have taken the tail lights out and tried it, fuse blows. I have disconnected the brake light switch nothing. But with the brake light switch disconnected the flasher relay for the hazards ticks like it is supposed to (when I turn them on) but no lights flash. I have searched around quite a bit but no luck. It seams no one found their problem or they didnt post up their fix. Like I said befor when I turn the lights on everything works great. Turn sig, high beams, parking lights. Hit the brakes POP. Any ideas?
:cheers:

Pinched wire. Pinched under a bolt or bracket previously worked on.Wires melted together in harness. Bulb socket messed up. Visual inspection first. Back track areas that have been messed with. Then I would use a schematic and start tracing it down. Schematic is just like a road map. Bridges out and trees laying across the road. If I had the schematic for an 87 I could TRY TO help you through it.

Last edited:
Story of my life.LOL I a pretty good electrical troubleshooter ( its my job I fix M1A1 tanks and STRYKER 8 wheel drive combat vehicles ). But I am out of ideas. I have pretty much traced it down to the brakelight switch. But it does not make sense that the flasher would be screwed as well. Does this sound resonable to anyone else? I have checked most of the harness with no luck. I am prettymuch done with it for the night. Maybe a fresh start tommorow will help. I think I may be concentrating to much on one area and need a new idea. Thanks for taking the time to at least try to help.
:cheers:

The brakes do run through the flasher, right? I know what you mean, sometimes I need to walk away and come back later and its right in front of me. Lets find a schematic. Its not complicated, but I don't have it memorized. I work on transistor and scr controlled fork lifts and electric carts, etc. I don't try to remember much of it, just stick to the principals and let the books store it. I'm too old.

Ok so heres where Im at. Replaced the brake light switch. Same thing. Tried a diff turn sig switch. Same thing. Now I am getting pissed.:tears: Is it possible it could be the headlight switch? I have already replaced it once but could I have gotten a bad one? Do the brake lights even go through that switch? Looks like I am back to checkin wires AGAIN. If anybody has ANY ideas PLEASE jump in. Thanks.

it may be in the headlight switch, you said after you replaced it is when your other problem started so thats where I would start looking, not busting your chops or anything, but most of the time when one problem starts after a repair is made thats the place to start.

Kinda what I started thinkin but I switched it out again for a known good one. About 5 min ago. SAME PROBLEM. O and bust away right now anything will help.

no hitch. Also If I disconnect the tail light housings from the harness the fuse does not blow. So I hooked up the pass side and tried it. POP. disconnected the pass side and hooked up the drivers side. POP. Also the lights dimm ALOT before the fuse blows. I do have cruise but I disconnected it to verify it wasnt causing it. If I put a Multi meter on the brake light switch I get 14.5 v running and 12.4 v with the key off. Pushing the pedel changes neither v readings. What are the odds that both my tail lights went at the same time? Dont know if I mentioned this earlier or not but now both of my fog light are out. I thought this might be the problem so I disconnected them but nothing changed. Besids the fog light relay on the drivers side fender well are there any other that controll them.
:gonnablow :gonnablow :gonnablow FOR SALE 87 WAGONEER CHEEP!!!!!! LOL Just kiding.

O and I am almost outa fuses. LOL

something has to be shorted or pinched...
Hazard flasher and Brake light switch have connections to the turn signal switch according to schematic for an 88...you might want to revisit the turn signal switch you installed....

Yea I already took a new one and slaved it in. same problem. Good try though It is very much app.I have the complete dash out now tracking down each wire for the lights. Taking pics as I go. This looks like it might be a good write up. Please keep the ideas flowing....
:patriot:

I tried to get a diagram from alldata but its pay per vehicle. &15.00 per car. my buddy has it and he said its join for $24.95 and then its $15.00 for each vehicle. Well the brake circuit has to go through the flasher circuit some place. It just seems like somthing has to be pinched or shorted someplace. Keep all the hammers away and empty your guns, we dont want you to blast it :)

LOL Its getting close. I am trying to find a FSM for a 87 waggy any ideas?
:patriot:

Anybody?

So I think I have found the problem. After pulling the dash COMPLETLY out I found this.
DCFC0349.jpg

DCFC0343.jpg

DCFC0346.jpg

So it looks like I need a complete harness right? Where can I buy one? Do you think this is repairable? Please any suggestions would be great. Thanks

the pics are too close but if you can seperate the wires and isolate them with tape i would think it would work id certanly try that first but cant really tell from the pics they are kinda out of focus

Yea I cant seem to get them in clearer. I have spent most of the day rewiring them. It looks like the complete ground "system" was fried. I am going to give this a try first just keep my fingers crossed. I think I have it pretty much done. I cant believe AMC did such a shody job with this. The wire gage is WAY to small, they branched everything into 1 main and they used a 16 gage wire to carry that. I upgraded to 12 for the acc and 9 for the main. I think this should be a deff upgrade. Maybe now my AC/HEATER controlls will not drain my system when they are turned up. Can you think of anything else I should do before it gets put back together?

This is a shot of the now wire and the old wire. The wire on the right is what JEEP used. I figure 16-20 gage. The wire on the left is the replacement. 12 gage that I ran into 9 gage. The other shots are the amount of wire that needed replaced. The red you see is bare wire that burned through not the color of the shielding.

DCFC0008.jpg

DCFC0005.jpg

DCFC0002-1.jpg

Back