• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cluster swap problem

rickolis22

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 xj, 4.0. i just did the cluster swap today to the full guages. i was careful with the oil pressure sending unit as people said they can break easily. that part went fine. however i managed to break off the coolant temp sending unit when trying to take that out. it snapped right off leaving the threaded part still in the engine. i know this is going to be a pain to get out. anybody have any good ideas? or should i just take it to a mechanic to do it?

I had that happen on one of my old XJ's. I just used an easy out and it came out fine. I also presoaked the part that was busted off with some creep oil and then took it out. It semed to to the trick.

Its easy to take care of as mentioned. Your local harbor freight or Sears harware will have an easy out bit or reverse thread bit for pretty cheap. Just dont try to drive the jeep anywhere.

thanks, i'll try the easy out. will it be hard to do considering where the sensor is placed? seems like a hard angle to get a drill into. as far as driving it, the hole is still plugged, i just have no way of knowing if its overheating.

should the easy out or reverse bit be just big enough to fit into it? i've never used one before. i got some pb blaster, i'll soak it in that. i stopped by a midas today and they said it would be about 2 hours labor, at $75 dollars an hour, haha. yeah right

so if i don't use a drill with an easy out what do i use to turn it? does it fit into a rachet? or will it fit in a screwdriver with removeable bits?

Things are easier to remove from a hot engine, BUT if it is leaking coolant I'd not even think of starting it up. Reverse drill bits do work good. Any machine shop has them. I have my own set. I've had the bits catch and just spin the piece right out. I do occasionally have to use an easy out. Be careful not to snap it off in the hole as that is gonna be a real b!!!!!. I've been there a few times.

rickolis22 said:
so if i don't use a drill with an easy out what do i use to turn it? does it fit into a rachet? or will it fit in a screwdriver with removeable bits?

They have a square end (see the picture on the Sears link), so you can use a tap handle or even an adjustable wrench. Try removing cold, then heat if neccessary.
:cheers:

Back