• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?moving shock perches d44 rear

2lazy2p

NAXJA Forum User
Other than clearance, are there other advantages or problems with moving the shock perches on a d44 rear end. I am almost through with rebuilding a d44, re-gearing, replacing drum brakes with discs, I've seen recommendations to "move the shock perches while your at it" and have seen M.O.R.E's perches (weld on). I'm not a mechanic, I am doing a lot of things to this machine that I've never tackeled before and am having fun venturing out. I guess I am sort of a mechanic, I fix biological things ie people ;). Should I move these perches?, why ( other than moore room under the axle ) what experience have you had doing it and what products have worked. ...... thanks again Cal.... the brake swap works well.....

I considered moving the lower shock mounts on the D44 I swapped into the XJ, but decided to just gusset the bottoms with 3/16 plate, wrapping an inch or so up the sides as well. I didn't want to have concerns with bottoming out the shocks at full stuff, but ended up having to build pretty tall bump stops on the u-bolt plate anyhow, so it's not the concern I thought it would be. I may end up raising the mounts in the end, I'll see if it becomes a concern on the trail. So far, it's not an issue.

Other than the difference in shock length, the other thing I would be concerned with is rotating them a bit to alleviate the angle that the shock bushing is at on the stud. It's pretty angled as is with the axle pinion rotated up, and a straighter shot pushing that bushing on the stud would be good.

That first article is the tits, that looks like the easiest and most functional way to do it. No fabbing of material, no welding on the axle tube, just basically cut, relocate, and weld. I'm gonna do that one, that's just simple sweet.

pretty much the same amount of work to cut the whole thing off, radius a new edge, and weld it on the axle tube so it doesn't hang down at all. That is what I did, and I use stock length shocks on a 4.5" lift.

I modified my stockers to move them up and out.Out helps with shock travel and provides a little more protection.
shock%20mount.jpg

This is kind of a poor pic cause it's so far away, but you get the idea of what I did. I put both of the shock mounts on the top of the axle and use a bolt to keep them in place.
axle001.jpg

Here's what I did... Yes, it's a d35, but it's the same concept. cut out one side of square tubing, weld a bolt in the middle, and weld it on... I braced 'em a little too. Yes, it's welded on the top and bottom too. Then I cut the old ones off... now they're stubs...

000_0945.jpg

000_0944.jpg

Last edited:
Back