• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep cherokee font shock problem

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
I put a rough country 3" lift on my cherokee, and ever since I been having front shock problems. The upper rubbing bushing keeps coming apart. The upper mount is pulling its way through the rubber bushing. I have had it happen a couple times and dont know why it happens, and when it does happen it makes an awful clunking noise!!! Have any ideas....

I had the same problem. Get some OEM replacement. The bushing from RC is too small. The OEM one is 2X bigger and distributes the pressure better. Go to the dealer or a part store that has the replacement one. Some of the universal one are to small.

It happen to me in Moab and I had to do all the parts stores and the last one had some. I got 2 spare set just in case.

Yup. It happened to me with the old Pro-Comp stuff. I just found some old poly bushings and made some bigger ones with nice big flat washers behind them.

I had the same problem. My solution was to buy a couple hockey pucks for 99 cents each. I cut them to diameter with a hole say and then sliced each one in half. I used them for the mount bushings. Haven't had a problem since I did that.

Daystar has the oversize ones in poly!

apsdad said:
I had the same problem. My solution was to buy a couple hockey pucks for 99 cents each. I cut them to diameter with a hole say and then sliced each one in half. I used them for the mount bushings. Haven't had a problem since I did that.

Hockey pucks are awesome. make great bump stop adjusters in the front also.

Just use your original OEM bushings. I had the same problem, and the original equipment worked flawlessly. If your old ones are still in decent shape, just put them back on there. If not, get some replacements.

I have used OEM upper shock bushings off of a WJ to solve my problem. They are thicker and larger in diameter. Plus they I are free since I work in shop. Every time I install WJ shocks for someone the old ones end up in my collection of junk.

I lost one out in the woods and used a roll of tape to take up the slack till i could get out out of the woods.

worked good in a pinch

Phil

xcm said:
easy solution... ditch the cheap/junk shocks...

Or take an old shock remove the mount and bushing, take the bushing out and weld it on to your shocks to replace the stud and put a new bushing in.

Just because they have an upper stud mount doesn't mean the are "cheap/junk shocks".....

If you are good with a welder, or know some one who is, build some upper mounts like this(see pics) and offset it further out the the stock shocks mount to keep the shock bodys from hitting the frame whem flexed.

Picture098.jpg

this
Picture092.jpg

this
Picture080.jpg

or this :)

Picture224.jpg

I really appreciate all your guys help. It has helped me figure out what I was going to do. I bought new bushing today and I will soon find out if it was worth it or not.I hope real soon I will be moving up to a bigger better lift, so I'm not too worried about it, until then, keep wheelin!!!

Last edited:
TNT said:
Or take an old shock remove the mount and bushing, take the bushing out and weld it on to your shocks to replace the stud and put a new bushing in.

Just because they have an upper stud mount doesn't mean the are "cheap/junk shocks".....

If you are good with a welder, or know some one who is, build some upper mounts like this(see pics) and offset it further out the the stock shocks mount to keep the shock bodys from hitting the frame whem flexed.

Picture098.jpg

this
Picture092.jpg

this
Picture080.jpg

or this :)

Picture224.jpg
What goes on the backside of that? Is a hole drilled through into the engine bay, or is a nut welded into that brace?

Is there any concern about welding 3/16'' plate to the Unibody and applying that much force to the area? Doesnt seem to be all that much weld area for such a high stress application.

I had this prob.

A great fix whil free is the sidewall from a bfg mudder. It never failed and you have an endless supply if you have one punctured or blown lying around.

Back