• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this?

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
Ok looks like some sort of solenoid that deals with the heating/cooling sys. Now periodically it ticks with RPM and speeds up and down with RPM, i cant isolate conditions that create it. It sits above the condensor (?) to the left of the engine. Jeep is a '97. finally should this tick, is it normal or do I need to replace it.

01-10-08_1403.jpg

01-10-08_1404-1.jpg

It is the purge sol for the E-Vap system.The clicking you hear is it just doing its job.
Wayne

Ps to answer your other question-The PCM sets it off It can throw a code PO442 or PO455 if it detects a vac leak.
Be sure your gas cap is tight.

Last edited:
thanks, and just so i know what does it need to be purging and what then sets it off?

Gas vapors out of the charcoal canister.
Wayne

k thanks!

The noise kinda irritates me too. Oh well. Maybe I can isolate it better from the firewall somehow.

First time I heard that on the 99 (which I had just bought used, private sale, no warrantee, etc.) it sounded just like a connecting rod bearing going bad, right frequency and everything. Scared the crap out of me. Now I live with it. Some mornings it makes a strange chirping noise until it warms up too.

Back