• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys tow hooks

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
The guys I wheel with are a little skeptical of doing a yank on my Rusty's tow hooks with brackets. They're worried about the hooks tearing off and flying through their rear windshields....wussies:looney:

Anybody have any good/bad experiences with them? I saw some OEM front tow hooks on a 2000 the other day, and the Rusty's looked a little pathetic by comparison.

nates94xj said:
The guys I wheel with are a little skeptical of doing a yank on my Rusty's tow hooks with brackets. They're worried about the hooks tearing off and flying through their rear windshields....wussies:looney:

Anybody have any good/bad experiences with them? I saw some OEM front tow hooks on a 2000 the other day, and the Rusty's looked a little pathetic by comparison.

Yes I had a set and yes they failed, the folded up under an easy yank up a hill on my ol 88. weld broke and they nearly ripped off

Really? I just have a problem with them bending on side pulls. I've been yanked REAL hard by an F350 on them using chain and nothing happened.

Im currently running factory 2001 brackets on the front of Ali's 96 xj. easy bolt on only have to drill one new hole in the top of the stock bumper

rockwerks said:
If it where me Id search for other options till Rusty fixes the problem

That's why I'm designing my own front recovery point.
There's no reason I can't come up with something simple that won't cost me any more than tow hooks and mounts.

joshv98xj said:
That's why I'm designing my own front recovery point.
There's no reason I can't come up with something simple that won't cost me any more than tow hooks and mounts.

my 2001 tow hooks cost me a total of 15.00 from the local junk yard with all hardware and bolts

I've got the Rusty's hooks/brackets and they bent on the first jerky tow behind my brother's truck and then bent again when being yanked out of some mud that I had buried my axle in...no breakage yet, just bending and I've been yanked pretty good with em. However, as I look at them, I always want to add a little more material in or better bracing to try and avoid the bending.

BlackSport96 said:
I've got the Rusty's hooks/brackets and they bent on the first jerky tow behind my brother's truck and then bent again when being yanked out of some mud that I had buried my axle in...no breakage yet, just bending and I've been yanked pretty good with em. However, as I look at them, I always want to add a little more material in or better bracing to try and avoid the bending.

structurally every time they bend you are creating stress risers in the materials at the bend points, sooner or later you will have a major failure, these materials are not designed to bend and bend again. be careful!

Eventually I want to build or buy a new front bumper that uses some good bracketry to attach itself and then do either a receiver hitch or just bolt on a good set of hooks or D-rings to the bumper. My main motivation with the hooks was to get something on the front end since Jeep saw fit to not include recovery points on the XJ...

Back