• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

IF birds fly and the sky is blue and we need oxygen to live... well then yes

Very, Very common problem for these engines. My 99 cracked too, I just replaced it with an APN header. Wasnt to bad of a job to do. I dont consider myself a very good mechanic and i was able to do it myself.

Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your Jeep? It is as common on the 4.0 as is leaky rear mains, valve cover gaskets, and oil filter adapters. They all crack, and it's just a matter of time.

The reason I asked about your milage is i'm at 104K on my 99 now, and I just have this feeling that mine's coming soon. My old neighbors 98 4.0 ZJ cracked at about 110K, and it's mighty loud on a cold start, so I know sort of what to listen for.

152000 on a 1988 and cracked last month:tears:-- guess I'm lookin' at a couple more months of annoying cold start noise! I'm still hoping for a leaking flange gasket as I'm too lazy to actually look and verify it's cracked, but knowing my luck it's not the flange gasket!!!:hang:

--Shorty

ill say it because it hasnt been said yet. do a search!
"is a cracked manifold a common problem?" jesus h christ is we havent discussed this a million times.

here you go: http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1898183 i did it for you. read for hours. do your homework before you clog this forum with more useless thread that bury the important threads.

i never thought i would be one of these guys that yell "do a search" when i first joined this forum. but there are just too many great threads that get buried forever because of threads like "is my cracked manifold a common problem?".

{soap box dethroned}

128,000 but I don't know how long it has been cracked because I just bought it not too long ago but I suspected something because I could hear a hissing sound. I have been told that it has been redesigned to eliminate the problem in the future. When I get the part no. of the newer version I will post it. Sorry for posting this subject again but I have not had good luck with the search yet but promise I will do better next time.

Last edited:
tigerShark said:
ill say it because it hasnt been said yet. do a search!
"is a cracked manifold a common problem?" jesus h christ is we havent discussed this a million times.

here you go: http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1898183 i did it for you. read for hours. do your homework before you clog this forum with more useless thread that bury the important threads.

i never thought i would be one of these guys that yell "do a search" when i first joined this forum. but there are just too many great threads that get buried forever because of threads like "is my cracked manifold a common problem?".

{soap box dethroned}

If we all searched we wouldn’t have much to talk about would we?

Back