• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long does the battery of the keyless entry remote supposed to last?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
This will be my second set of lithium batteries that I will have gone through in just 2 years. Is it just me, or does that seem kind of low? What kind of life are you guys getting out of yours? Mine is a '99 XJ.
My second question is... what kind of range does your keyless entry remote have? From day one I have been extremely disappointed in how close I have to be in order for it to work. I am comparing it to my friend's '07 Silverado that can lock/unlock it from inside his house. I can't be more than 25 feet away, so if I get all the way to my house door and realized I forgot to lock it, I have to chug my way back to the XJ in order to get in range.
I realize this thread makes me sound like a lazy bum, but lazy or not, I sure wish it worked better. Let me know your thoughts.

Hey there,

I've got a 99 XJ with a keyless entry, and I've had it since late 2002, and I've never had to replace the battery yet. However, it stopped making the horn honk to let me know it's locked several months ago; I assume I need a new battery on it but don't really know.
But I can lock it inside my house with no problem...I don't really know what to suggest, but wanted to share my info.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
However, it stopped making the horn honk to let me know it's locked several months ago; I assume I need a new battery on it but don't really know.
You can program the jeep to honk or not by holding down lock or unlock (I dont recall which) for a few seconds and it will honk at you and turn on or off...I turned mine off personally I find it annoying.

Hey thanks. Maybe the store that I won't name replaced it with a battery that was already low in power. Thanks.

jeeperguy21 said:
I realize this thread makes me sound like a lazy bum, but lazy or not, I sure wish it worked better. Let me know your thoughts.

I'd say more like a cheap bum!!! :laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao:

A set a year..... yeah, that's about right.

When I had my remote start unit installed (which doubles as remote lock/unlock) I was happy to find that it's remote range was a whole lot farther than the OEM fobs were.

:wave:

If you want longer range out of the remote hold it against your chin when you hit the button.

I know it sounds insane, and you look crazy doing it, but try it and you will amazed at the added range.

8 years now on mine,ive never changed them yet!

string cheese said:
If you want longer range out of the remote hold it against your chin when you hit the button.

I know it sounds insane, and you look crazy doing it, but try it and you will amazed at the added range.

I can attest to this!!! Look at your vehicle, point the remote under your chin and you'll be amazed how it improves the range. Like String Cheese said, it sounds insane but it works!!! :dunno:

A bit off topic but, has anyone ever installed remote start on a 99 XJ that has the "chipped key"? Heard from someone that probably dont know s$%@# that you cant do it.

Odarby said:
A bit off topic but, has anyone ever installed remote start on a 99 XJ that has the "chipped key"? Heard from someone that probably dont know s$%@# that you cant do it.

It is very doable. It requires a special adapter box that holds a spare coded "chipped" key. The adapter box makes the car think that the key is in the ignition. You need this box along with a programmed (coded) key. I was going to have to do this for another vehicle that I owned that had a chipped key. Just check with your local installer.
:cheers:

jeeperguy21 said:
This will be my second set of lithium batteries that I will have gone through in just 2 years. Is it just me, or does that seem kind of low? What kind of life are you guys getting out of yours? Mine is a '99 XJ.
My second question is... what kind of range does your keyless entry remote have? From day one I have been extremely disappointed in how close I have to be in order for it to work. I am comparing it to my friend's '07 Silverado that can lock/unlock it from inside his house. I can't be more than 25 feet away, so if I get all the way to my house door and realized I forgot to lock it, I have to chug my way back to the XJ in order to get in range.

My batteries last a long time, but the range sucks. I keep an extra remote on hand in case my batteries go. My wifes remote has always worked better than mine, even when I install new batteries. I rented a continental, and the remote worked from 75 feet or so. I was amazed, and jealous at the same time.

Do you keep your keys in your back pocket or something? Maybe you are accidentally pressing the button on a regular basis.

Odarby said:

I'm glad someone asked about this as I saw a video of a Gr. Cherokee with remote start, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I'd like to do it on my 99 XJ...how expensive are the stuff you need?

NCjeepgirl83 said:
I'm glad someone asked about this as I saw a video of a Gr. Cherokee with remote start, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I'd like to do it on my 99 XJ...how expensive are the stuff you need?

Couple hundred... When i lived in Alaska, every car came from the dealer with emm pretty much

for a remote start for the 99 with the chipped key you can do 2 things... keep in mind im speaking about viper which is made by directed electronics... the first bypass you can use is a universal one but you will lose a key to the remote start it needs to be hidden away with the module itself... the other way is a chrysler bypass where its going to mimic the key... theres a pssibility that this will not work tho...

the old remotes were not infer red (spelling error sorry) as the new vehicles are so the distance is limited and ive had my 98 for four years and never changed batterys and i have no idea how old they were when i got it

Back