• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lighting....

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
so i just bought four procomp lights. two fog and two spot lights. with a wiring kit total was $110. im running silverstar lights but they blow!. but everybody else i see with them they work great. i was told i should change out my battery cables because i have the stock ones, and they are in pretty bad shape. anything else i should d0?....oh, i have a new battery too. thank you in advance1

----Chris

when i got my silverstars i thouht they sucked too, but found out that i just needed to adjust them and now they are great.

I suggest upgrading the headlight wiring with relays and 12g wire. There are a few writeups circling about on how to do this, or I could explain for you if you wish.

I upgraded mine and the light output increase is significant. I was losing ~1.6v between the battery and lights, and dropped that to ~.15v.

Check out this thread for more info/ideas about headlights. Lots of good info.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906034

As for your driving/fogs, It depends how many watts they are, but no matter what, I would use a switch and relay setup for each set, so you can turn them on independent of each other. You want to use relays to carry the heavy load rather than switches, or else you will be replacing switches a lot!

I ran silverstars then went to PIAA's and there was no looking back. I use the Xtreme White Plus 110/100ww, 4000K. Those bulbs blew me away. I also ran a new wiring harness straight to the battery and the harness uses the exisiting on off switch no mods. I highly recommend getting the auto pal euro headlamps that houses the h-4 bulb.

norcalchris said:
that would be great. what kind of wiring should i use to wire up my new lights to my roof rack??

Use the same principal, just for your aux lights instead of the headlamps.

yojeep has a really good howto for upgrading the headlights, because that was brought up....

relays seem difficult... untill you build a harness on your own, then you figure it out quick

If you take the ten minutes to read about relays and such, it makes life a lot easier. Really, all it is, is another switch. But one that can handle the load of the lights. Without relays, you have all that high power going directly through your switch. Which is most likely located right next to you...

Love2Ride450 said:
Here is a link to a good writeup by FitchVA. Any questions, just ask.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=57

I didn't follow this exactly. I decided to just cut the old headlight plug off on the passenger side, and hardwire it to the relays.

Great write up. Haven't done this mod YET....

What is the fix for the dual beam issue he was having?

I simply cut and then protected the wire which told my foglights to cut out when highbeams were activated (on my 95). I assume this would fix his issue as well, but not sure since he has a 98.

Basically my foglights can run with parking lights, lowbeams, or high beams. Before they would cut out when swithching to highbeams. Kind of pointless - getting less light when you want more light :) They are stock fogs from the factory.

But like I said I suppose this would fix the issue he mentioned.

Back