• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust question

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, i have got a 91 4.0 xj that i need your opinion on about the exhaust. I took it out wheelin in october and must have caught my muffler on something cause it is almost touching my rear pumpkin. I got to looking at it and noticed that the hangers for the tailpipe have either ripped out or busted thru the pipe and is just letting it hang. What do you think about taking the tailpipe off the muffler and just putting a turndown on the back of the muffler? Would this be alrite to do or should i just go out and get a new tailpipe? This is just a trail rig that gets driven maybe once every 2 months or so.

Thanks,
Ben

I would prefer it to exit at the rear since a turn down will still flow into the cabin- moreso on a trail rig as it's slower driving and the exhaust is just dumping right underneath the rear seats. I would spend the extra and avoid the fumes. Just my opinion.

sounds like a great excuse to upgrade. rustys has the cat-back with the flowmaster and mandrel bent 2.5" tubing for a great price. i love mine. had it for 2 and a half years.

I have a cherry bomb with a turn down. I took a peice of 1/4inch rod, did all the bends so it would work with the factory rubber hanger(the one before the rearend), and bent it around the bottom of the outlet of the cherry bomb. I just sliped on the turndown and welded both the turndown and the hanger at the same time. It works great and no fumes in cab at all.

here's my input

i have a 94 xj 4-door. my exhaust rusted out, so i just yanked off the tailpipe section and put a dump after the muffler. BAD IDEA. i thought it was a good one at the time. within 2 months of DD that way i had a hole in the bottom of the floor pan right where the dump was. i thought i didnt have that bad of a floor board rust problem but i was mistaken. the undercoating that was on there just covered it up until the heat from the exhaust got it hot enough and it just fell apart. so when i started smelling burning carpet i knew something was wrong.

since then i patched the hole, cut my cat. off and replaced the cat. with a straight exhaust pipe and then installed a catback dynomax system and it looks, sounds great! no more holes in the floor.

just my $0.02

Back