• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks

Huffin

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any suggestions for shock for my 01 xj. I have pro comps now I think they're the 9000. I dont want to spend over $100-130 per shock. Im thinking about the OME shocks or the Blisten's.

from what has been recommended you are on the right track

Huffin said:
Anybody have any suggestions for shock for my 01 xj. I have pro comps now I think they're the 9000. I dont want to spend over $100-130 per shock. Im thinking about the OME shocks or the Blisten's.

I have seen a pair of Bilstein 5125's (rear) for $147 shipped and a pair of the 5150's (front) for $218 shipped. So total would be around $365 for the set and that is below your budget.

Ive been very happy with my RS9000's. I like being able to turn them up a couple clicks when I am loaded down. They have worked very well for me on the trail as well. They usually run under $100 each. I have also ran the Bilstiens and OME's on non jeep 4x4's with very good results.

I love my OME's

2001XJ said:
I have seen a pair of Bilstein 5125's (rear) for $147 shipped and a pair of the 5150's (front) for $218 shipped. So total would be around $365 for the set and that is below your budget.

sorry to hijack

im trying to decide what bilsteins to go with, could you give me your reasoning for going with what you did?5125 rear, 5150 front

also, what is the difference, other than the resivoir, between the 5100, 5125 and 5150.

i went to there site but didnt explain very well the differnces

again, sorry for hijack

Last edited:
89xj said:
sorry to hijack

im trying to decide what bilsteins to go with, could you give me your reasoning for going with what you did?5125 rear, 5150 front

also, what is the difference, other than the resivoir, between the 5100, 5125 and 5150.

again, sorry for hijack

my understanding is the only real difference is the shorter shock body and cross-flow resevoir on the 5150. It allows to keep cooler than the 5125 for higher speed bumps and repetitive dampening. Also, I believe you can fit longer 5150s in front becasue of the shorter shock body but I may be mistaken. I plan to run the 5150s in front and 5125s in rear for this reason and it cuts down on cost since I don't need the more expensive 5150s in the rear.

2001XJ said:
my understanding is the only real difference is the shorter shock body and cross-flow resevoir on the 5150. It allows to keep cooler than the 5125 for higher speed bumps and repetitive dampening. Also, I believe you can fit longer 5150s in front becasue of the shorter shock body but I may be mistaken. I plan to run the 5150s in front and 5125s in rear for this reason and it cuts down on cost since I don't need the more expensive 5150s in the rear.
thank you!

89xj said:
sorry to hijack

again, sorry for hijack
Save a little more and go with 7100's

There is no finer shock at the consumer level than Bilstien. 5150, 7100, either way.

FordGuy said:
Save a little more and go with 7100's
why?

seems like the 5100, 5125 are good shocks. i dont think i need the 7100, although they may be a better shock.

thing is, i hear great things about the 51..., then the 7100 come out an they are better, but the 51.. should still be good enough for me. i dont need the best of the best shock. anything has to be better than the gas 8000 skyjacker shocks i have now. at low speeds, you feel every crack in the road. although that could also be control arm angle.

im at 4.5 lift on my 89 and its a DD. im also concidering drop arm brackets, so money will be tight.

The 7100's have a "shortbody" option - where you can get 12 inches of travel in the body of a 10 inch shock - more compression and more droop.

Most people in the ~5 inch lift range run 10" travel 5150's in the front - where you can put a 12" travel 7100 in the front. Not to mention the 7100's are rebuildable, revalvable, and have valving options that 5150's do not. Its the last shock you will ever buy in that length.

It depends what you are looking for out of your rig.

You pay more, but you get more.

2079679577_f66df6c759.jpg

shock2medium.jpg

:edit: I guess it wasn't really clear, I tossed those pics in so you can see the range of travel - stuffing a 35 until it rubs and still being able to unload an RE ZJ coil.

Back