• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" and 4.56 - Speedo gear?

Joshua

NAXJA Forum User
Just regeared to 4.56 and I have 33 bfg at/ko's. I cant seem to find the right speedometer gear for my np231 to compensate! Does anyone know where to find one? I've been striking out with quadratec, 4wd hardware and dealerships. :mad:

You dont need one,it should be right on the money!

there is a chart posted somewhere on here, try searching. I bet like a 34 or 35 tooth gear would get ya in the ballpark

RCP Phx said:
You dont need one,it should be right on the money!

How can you say He should be right on the money? he went from 225's to 33's & 3.55's to 4.56's. I call BS.

Well my 2000 w/ 33's and 4.10's is about 6MPH off,my 95 w/ 4.56's and 33's is dead nuts! YMMV depending on actual tire sizes(I run BFG's which are the tallest 33 out there0!
And to answer your question,tire sizes went up, but gear ratio went down proportionately!

Last edited:
Oh, its not a matter of calculating the tooth count of the gear I need, it's finding someone that sells it. I need a 39 tooth gear (according to the quadratec chart) but they dont sell it.

ia green96 said:
How can you say He should be right on the money? he went from 225's to 33's & 3.55's to 4.56's. I call BS.
The bigger tire and deeper gearing almost cancel each other out. Looking at GoJeeps table gives the same # of teeth too. Personally, I'd borrow a GPS and find out what percentage you're off at 60mph and multiply that by whatever you have in there. That'll be the most accurate.

well I just put a 39 in last night.. I am guessing I may need a 37 tooth gear.. The calculator is not always right. I 2nd the use of a gps to get a more accurate reading for your speed. I ran 35's with 4.56's and the stock 35 speedo gear from my 242, and the speedo was only .3 mph off...

Ok its best to calibrate it with a gps.. I put a 39 tooth in for 33's and 4.56's and the speedo is slow by 4mph. When traveling 35mph on the speedo the gps is 39.2mph..

Back