• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

error codes

NewOld96xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I checked my error codes... I got 12 for sure looks like 43 which comes up 4/5 times and 22 followed by end code 55
I heard error codes dont come up more than once though? Acording to this website anyways... But code 43 can have more than one meaning. So if a couple things are messed would it show up more than once?

43 if memory serves is a misfire code, whic will repeat for however misfiring cyls it seeing.
mine recently gave me 3x 43. cyl#1 misfire, cyl#2 misfire, and random misfire.

22 is ECT, Engine Coolant Temperature sensor out of range, meaning it is bad. Replace the ECT, then check the compression on all cylinders. 43 means misfire in Cyl #5,6, 7 or 8, which is caused by no spark, late spark, no fuel or low compression.

wheres it located and Whats involved in repalcing the sensor?

Just unscrew it and screw the new one it? Or do i gotta use some teflon tape or something with it to make sure it seals?

NewOld96xj said:
wheres it located and Whats involved in repalcing the sensor?

Just unscrew it and screw the new one it? Or do i gotta use some teflon tape or something with it to make sure it seals?

I would not use teflon, use a copper conductive thread lube for good gound contact. IIRC '95 and older (or is it 90 and older?) is on the drivers side of the engine block just above the oil pan. On 96 (Or is it 91?:eyes:) and newer, it is on the thermostat housing, drivers side.

You did not post the year on yours, but your user ID says 96, so it should be in the thermostat housing.

cracked-buttat least you are getting error codes. my 89 isnt showing any error codes, but now with a dead battery it aint doin nothing!!
On a 89 you are not going to get any codes even with a good battery it is a Renix .

cracked-butt said:
now with a dead battery it aint doin nothing!!
Not entirely correct, If you tell it to sit and stay, it will usually sit and stay, never could get my ex or the kids to do even that, so that's at least something, not nothing, LOL!:jester:

Only way to diagnosis a Renix is to buy and learn how to use an old style tool called a volt ohm or multi meter! Once you've used one, you will frown on scanners as a waste of money and a distraction.

Oh, and back to the CTS replacement question, when you pull the old one the antifreeze will come runing out, easier to drain the radiator via the lower radiator hose first.

Back