• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to shackle or not to shackle?

thebluebuffalo

NAXJA Forum User
i'm putting a 4.5 RC under the 96 this weekend. i know i will have at least 150 lbs in the back at all times plus aftermarket bumpers. should i put rear shackles on it? .5, .75, 1., 1.25, 1.50, 1.75?

frankly...it's up to your own specific setup...

just keep in mind that whatever length of shackle you go with, you will only net half that much lift...

i.e. 2" shackle=1" lift ; 1.5" shackle=.75" lift

for me, i'm running a 4.5" setup with 2" shackles

good luck

if it advertized as a lift shackle it will give you the lift height.

i believe a stock shackle is 3". if thats correct, a 1" lift shackle will be 5"' or 2" longer than stock.

alexer03 said:
Some, but some also have a option. Alright this is offtopic and not really helping anyone so my advice is to go with a 1 inch lift shackle.

-Alex

thank you for the first legit answers. is it true that i will only get a .5" out of a 1." shackle?

stock shackles are 3" long I believe, so anything bigger than that will provide 1/2 as much lift, that may be the confusion from thenastiests post.
5" shackle will provide 1" lift, but as stated most stores give the advertised lift in the ad.
if you see an ad for 1.75" lift shackle, it will provide you with that much lift... but its not 3.5" tall.

beakie said:
stock shackles are 3" long I believe, so anything bigger than that will provide 1/2 as much lift, that may be the confusion from thenastiests post.
5" shackle will provide 1" lift, but as stated most stores give the advertised lift in the ad.
if you see an ad for 1.75" lift shackle, it will provide you with that much lift... but its not 3.5" tall.

You got it!:thumbup:

dang just learned something new, lol glad i looked at this page, i'd go with the 1" lift shackle also,

While I agree you should do a shackle so the rear flexes better, RC springs are known to be on the stiff side and will probably not sag all that much under the weight, at least not at first.

150 pounds of gear isn't much - i carry that much just in my toolbox, and that again in spare parts.

what are the best shackles out there? is there a best? craftmanship and customer support would be the deciding factor!

ok, here is a noob question. I also have a RC 4.5" lift, but my came with blocks in the back. Now would one be correct by getting 2" lift shackles TO REPLACE the blocks? Or will that not work and why?

thebluebuffalo said:
what are the best shackles out there? is there a best? craftmanship and customer support would be the deciding factor!

The RE ones have crescent shape cut-outs for the rear bumper bolts, but even with those i still used to hit the bumper bolts with the shackle...

I have not used other shackles, but if they dont have that cut out, you better take out that bottom bolt, it seriously limits the shackle movement.

I cant compare one brand to another, but i can offer that.

HTH
-Tim

would a shackle lift make the axle move toward the front of the XJ, or does it just drop it straight down?
....the geometry to me seems like it would make your tire closer to the front of the fender well...maybe i'm wrong?

thebluebuffalo said:

i am completely happy with the quality and performance of the 1" jks boomerange shackles that i have with my 3" leaf springs.

Back