• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Replaced Bal Joints-Now My Axle is Leaking?

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, yesterday I changed my passenger side ball joints on my '97, which by the way after 9 years of salt corrosion was a PITA. Obviously, I had to remove the axle shaft, and now when ever I park somehwere, I see a small puddle of fluid forming under that side of the axle coming from the opening of the tube. I did lower that side of the axle down too much and fluid started coming out while putting in the joints, but I immediately jacked it back up past level so no more came out.

Did I break a seal or something? Did I make some fatal error or overlook something crucial?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

You either nicked the seal during reinstall, or that's residual oil from inside the tube. You did clean and lube the seal surface on the axleshaft before reinstall, right?

X2, :twak: hopefully you didn't nick that seal and used pletty of lube upon reinsertion. When I did mine it leaked for a couple days. But after some miles of driving it went away. Glad I had the better of what Yucca-man said. Residual oil that made it past the seal when the axle was out. Good luck with this one.:sure:

I purpousley parked out in the street last night so I could easily tell if there was anymore fluid leaking. There wasn't. :D I DIDN'T use much lube when I put it back in...I'll make sure to do that next time :thumbup:

Thanks a ton!!!!!

Back