• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank skidplate

If you look at the tanks for sale you see that they changed in 1996 but I don't know what changed or what happened for 97+

Most of the aftermarket skids seems to be universal regardless of year, tank capacity, etc, although some of them are 96+ only and have a hanging bracket at the rear for something.

Last edited:
Anyone else know for sure if the Skid Plates are interchangable. It is a factory skid off of an 89. It's looking more and more like they are not, but then some of the aftermarket skids are 83-01.

Last edited:
I saw some more info while looking for mine. The pre-96 gas tanks are metal and tight against the body, while the 97+ are plastic and hang lower and are the same as the ZJ tanks. Some skids are model specific, others are not. For example Quadratec lists two different Skid Row plates, one is for 84-96 while the other is for 97-01 and ZJs. On the other hand they also have the Tomken which is listed as 84-01. So some are, some aren't.

Which product are you looking at?

99XJLove said:
Anyone else know for sure if the Skid Plates are interchangable. It is a factory skid off of an 89.

I assume yours is a 99. If that is the case the 89 skid will not fit without some mods. JIM.

JeepFreak21 said:
The plastic cover is an alternative to the skid plate (it's installed when a skid plate isn't ordered from the factory). The plastic cover is not a skid plate. An OEM metal skid is available for '97+ XJs & ZJs.
Billy

The 97+ tanks are all plastic. Mine didn't have the plastic cover like the pre-97s did. JIM.

JeepFreak21 said:
The plastic cover is an alternative to the skid plate (it's installed when a skid plate isn't ordered from the factory). The plastic cover is not a skid plate. An OEM metal skid is available for '97+ XJs & ZJs.
Billy
We're not talking about the rock guard, which btw I also have on my 91.

ILLXJ said:
The 97+ tanks are all plastic. Mine didn't have the plastic cover like the pre-97s did. JIM.

I thought the OP was asking about skid plates? :confused:

Alright... no plastic cover in lieu of a skid plate in '97+? But a metal skid plate was available, right? I pulled a metal one from a ZJ a few weeks ago... that's the point I was trying to correct.
Billy

ehall said:
We're not talking about the rock guard, which btw I also have on my 91.

Oh, I gotcha... you were talking about the tanks (being plastic)
doh.gif

:anon: Billy

Yes, to both above post. JIM.

Back