• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase skid question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
alright so i just got a used skidrow tcase skid that i'm trying to put on. where exactly is it supposed to bolt to the crossmember? on the little lip on the side which is really thin, or the thick middle part of the crossmember. the skidrow directions don't really say, but they do say that there are usually bolts already there but that some may have to drill them. well i dont have the bolts in my xmember and nothing seems to be fitting right. anybody got any pics of how their tcase skid is mounted or can anyone give me any help as to exactly where its supposed to bolt up. the directions say that the carriage bolts used to bolt it to the crossmember are 3" long which leads me to believe that it goes through the thick middle part...but i dont know. that kind of seems weird to me. anyone?
thanks.

52216-add1-lg.jpg

If you are not going to get the engine skid also, you should mount the Tcase skid as far toward the front as you can. Try to cover as much of the cross member as possible because it is only sheet metal and it will get crushed and/or bent if left unprotected.

XJ-TCSP_side.jpg

Last edited:
I just installed a rusty's transfer case skid. The skid bolted through the middle of the crossmember (thickest part). Just drill your holes so they dont interfere with the exhaust pipe brackets or the bottom of the transfer case.

Jim

it was kind of a yes or no question. i think the middle of the xmember is hollow...or i could be wrong...and it would just be easier with it off.

gijosiahh said:
it was kind of a yes or no question. i think the middle of the xmember is hollow...or i could be wrong...and it would just be easier with it off.

than take it off, although i wouldnt think it would be a problem if hollow, just drill straight up.

gijosiahh said:
did you take the crossmember off to drill the holes or just leave it on?

Left it on.

Have you read any of the threads on how big a pain it is to remove the crossmember?

Tim_MN said:
Left it on.

Have you read any of the threads on how big a pain it is to remove the crossmember?

haha oh i've experienced first hand how big of a pain it is putting the tcase drop in...so it wouldnt be that hard taking it back off...i guess i'll just leave it on.

thanks.

The skids are designed for "NO" tc drop,youll have to mod-to-fit.

RCP Phx said:
The skids are designed for "NO" tc drop,youll have to mod-to-fit.

nah it works with lowered too...from skidrows website:

Our transfer case skid plate for your XJ Cherokee or ZJ Grand Cherokee is much stronger than the factory part (if you got one! ) and protects one of the most vulnerable parts of your drivetrain. It is designed to work with stock or lowered transmission cross-members and includes a drain hole to make maintenance easier.

Back