• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GREAT

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace my pass side rear brake light. Upon removal I apparently knocked something loose because now all I have is head lights. No dash light, reverse, clearence markers, etc.
What did i knock loose?

Which fuse(s) did I blow?
I have 3-4 possible fuses it could be?

short to ground! you may have pinched a wire somewhere in the process,take it apart an check the wiring, if u need to see inside, pull the inner 1/4 plastics to get at the wiring behind the lamps.

What wire where? The only ground wires in that area are connected to the lights that I cant freakin remove to clean!!!

I HATE THIS CRAP!!!!! NOW I BROKE A DAMN GROUND WIRE OFF INSIDE MY TAIL-LIGHT!!!!
I THINK MY XJ IS GETTIN READY TO GO UP FOR SALE!!!!!

Sorry to hear you are having repair problems...Seems like you are not getting much satisfaction out of repairing problems on a Jeep that is older than you are. Many Jeeps of your vintage have already hit the scrap pile. In your case, selling it might be a good idea. As your Jeep gets older the problems will be the same or worse....the question is, will you be?

RªMB° said:
I HATE THIS CRAP!!!!! NOW I BROKE A DAMN GROUND WIRE OFF INSIDE MY TAIL-LIGHT!!!!
I THINK MY XJ IS GETTIN READY TO GO UP FOR SALE!!!!!

OK so fix it. You have an older Jeep just like alot of us. Things will brake, snap, come loose, and all together fail. Welcome to owning an older vehicle.So as to the ground wire. Is it one of the ones at the bulb socket. If so go your nearest auto parts store and get a new socket and wire it in. Simple fix really. As far as selling the Jeep thats up to you. According to you profile you are 19. If you are not mechanically inclined and have patience enough to fix a simple problem, them maybe you need to get something newer that still has a warrenty that you can bring to the dealer for everything. And yes I know that my post sounds rude but it is reality. You had to ask what fuse! Check all that pertain to your problem, same with the wire. Do you own a multimeter and a test light. If not and you dwcide to keep the Jeep you will need to buy one. They are invaluable when working on the jeep. Again I am sorry if this sounds mean and rude but like I said you have an older vehicle. It will require more maintenence then newer vehicles. Some people are just not up to the task of it. But hopefully you decide to keep the Jeep.Yes it can be frustrating and sometimes just a pain in the rear to have an older vehicle. But you have found one of the best sites out there for the XJ. We are a great knowledge base. There is not much that we as a group cannot walk you through. You jusat have to want to work through it, as we cannot do it for you. And I know you are pissed at the Jeep but could you please not use caps lock on your whole posts. Yes it is considered yelling but it is also a pain to read. Again sorry this post sounds so rude, as I am really not a rude and mean person, but it is just the reality of the beast.

u blew a fuse dont worry just put ur light back together. Change the parklamp, and ip light fuse. That should do it. If not, u knocked a ground.

Its not that im mechanically uninclined quite the opposite really Im just getting to the point were I wanna be able to go do this and that, but cant due to something overheating or having eletrical failures/shorting out. Its everytime that I do something to improve or get ready to give it a brand new part like a radiator in 2weeks that it goes and does this thing w/o failure for the whole 10months that ive had the Jeep. Have any of you guys totally re-wired an XJ?

Trust me we all know your pain. You just have to do one thing at a time. It will seem like an overload at times but hey we all get through it. When you put new parts or fix a part it is like the rest of the Jeep gets jelous. The rest of the Jeep just wants some love to. Yes it happens at inopertune times, but most can be planed for. In the case of the radiator for example. Be ready to replace or atleast check your upper/lower hoses, your trans cooler lines, fan switch on the side of the radiator, might as well do a thermostate while you have the coolant low, flush the old coolant out of the block. If you do not atleast check these items you know you will be kicking yourself later. With a Jeep you just have to think ahead to the unexpected/expected. Now I'm not saying you will have to work on you Jeep every free moment you got. We all have our swearing secession with out beloved Jeeps it only natural. Like I said befor you just have to take each thing as i comes. If you get stuck we can help, thats what we are all here for.
Out of curiuosity are you getting and staying with the closed coolant system or going with the open system upgrade. And befor the debate begins on that here. Lets not debate it. It has been debated several times in other threads. My 89 was overheating so I switched to an open sytem which works for me. And yes the closed sytem works very well too. For details just do a Search for "oper cooling system" if you are interested.

Thanks everybody for the help I extremely appreciate it greatly.
I got all new fuses in fuse box except the bigger metal ones and the 2-75Amp ones. In doing so I even now have a dome light that works. I fixed the ground wire to the reverse lights and now I have those again.
As for now Im going to keep the closed system although I have an open system ready radiator. That maybe a future project when I have the time and resources to do so.

JEEP......Just Empty Every Pocket........wee all know the feeling, but when things are running fine, theres not another feeling like being behind the wheel of a rusty, leaky, shaky, go anywhere, pull your friends out of a swamp..........JEEP! :worship:

Back