• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no intermittent wipers when raining

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
So.....I searched. Hoped someone had this problem before but if they did they worded it AFU because I couldnt find it.

my intermittent wipers dont work when its real wet out. They work fine when I wash the car or its just misty but when its been raining or is raining they dont work.

Sorry. I was distracted when I posted this and forgot.

They just run continuous like there is no intermittent setting. Funny thing is, when it just started raining they work and when I wash the car they work (they being the intermittent function). Is there a relay somewhere that gets wet?

Yeah I'm sure there is. Sounds more like the transmission going bad. (Yes there is an actual transmission for the windhield wipers, other people call it the motor...either way).

Clarification. There is a motor and a transmission. The transmission is at the end of the motor housing. The linkage assembly, the motor is mounted on, is often included as the transmission in discussions.

There is a connector from the motor to the wire harness right next to the motor that could be allowing water to create a connection that is loose.

I just had a similair problem where the intermitant mode would only work intermitantly! I ended up taking the assembly out, removing the cover over the transmission portion of the motor. The cover has the wires attached. Inside are three "arms" that are conncector springs on the cover attached to the wires. They ride on a ringed disk to transfer the ground and power to the motor. Greese is plentiful and should be redistributed. One of the springs was "unsprung". I think they loose their "spring" over time. I simply bent it to increase the contact force. Don't need to go overboard, just get it to be a little more bent then the others. Now everthing works. There was a rubbery paint over the motor assembly from the factory to help seal the cover in additon to the gasket. You may want to paint it after assembly.

BTW, you may want to check the control box. It is located under the dash with velcro on the left side of the steering wheel. You can remove the connectors on both sides and plug the two together, eliminating the box. If everything else is good, you will have only low and high speeds for the wipers. This is a way around a failed control box.

If you do take it appart, you might as well replace the bushings in the linkage to tighten up the wipers. The parts are available at most stores that carry HELP! parts. They are in a box with a bunch of other bushings for other applications. The cost is under $8. Do a search for the number. I never can remember the part number 4949 something or other. Use sockets and a vice to install the bushings. Becareful about how you assemble. I didn't and the wipers parked in the upright location and wiped down! Another possiblity is they go in opposite directions. Check before installing the assembly into the cowl.

TMI?

Last edited:
sjx40250 said:
Clarification. There is a motor and a transmission. The transmission is at the end of the motor housing. The linkage assembly, the motor is mounted on, is often included as the transmission in discussions.

There is a connector from the motor to the wire harness right next to the motor that could be allowing water to create a connection that is loose.

I just had a similair problem where the intermitant mode would only work intermitantly! I ended up taking the assembly out, removing the cover over the transmission portion of the motor. The cover has the wires attached. Inside are three "arms" that are conncector springs on the cover attached to the wires. They ride on a ringed disk to transfer the ground and power to the motor. Greese is plentiful and should be redistributed. One of the springs was "unsprung". I think they loose their "spring" over time. I simply bent it to increase the contact force. Don't need to go overboard, just get it to be a little more bent then the others. Now everthing works. There was a rubbery paint over the motor assembly from the factory to help seal the cover in additon to the gasket. You may want to paint it after assembly.

BTW, you may want to check the control box. It is located under the dash with velcro on the left side of the steering wheel. You can remove the connectors on both sides and plug the two together, eliminating the box. If everything else is good, you will have only low and high speeds for the wipers. This is a way around a failed control box.

There ya go...thanks for explaining that better than I did!

Back