• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculined back of jeep! [Pictures]

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm sure some of you might remember my thread about how I hate rust, and I included these pictures of my lovely XJ:

rust1rt8.jpg

rust2pe8.jpg

Well, it turns out that the really bad part in the second picture (where the trailer wire harness ends) had been patched up by the previous owner quite a while ago, and all the rivets and such were rotted away. I had to cut out a good 2'x1' hole and weld&rivet in some new 20 gauge sheet metal. I don't have any pictures of it, but it wasn't the most fun job in the world.

After fixing that, I realized I couldn't throw the carpet back in as it was pretty much ruined (plus it had a big ass stain in it) so I opted for the Herculiner route, except just the back of my jeep as it's a DD.

I put one coat on, but unfortunatley it's -8ish here in BC, and the heated shop just wasn't hot&humid enough to dry the herculiner thoroughly in four hours, so when I applied the second coat, it kind of moved around the first coat and didn't turn out so well as these pictures can show you:

dsc0051zr7.jpg

dsc0052fu8.jpg

I was really worried that it might turn out like utter crap, but after letting it dry overnight and slapping on a really really thick final coat, my fears were immedietley put to rest:

dsc0057lj7.jpg

dsc0058sv5.jpg

I'm going to try and take some pictures without the flash, as it really changes the look of it.

I have yet to put my panels & seats back in, but damn. The stuff turned out very very well and I am extremely pleased. It also cut down the road noise by a bit which is also a bonus.

I'm just hoping it won't peel as I did apply it over some sanded/ground down rust (had no other choice really) but time will tell.

Go Herculiner :thumbup:

nice job:viking:

I wish that stuff came in more colors, I would love it in yellow.

mattbred said:
Well, it turns out that the really bad part in the second picture (where the trailer wire harness ends) had been patched up by the previous owner quite a while ago, and all the rivets and such were rotted away

Hey,

those arent patches put there by the previous owner. Those pieces of metal are there from the factory.

The herc looks SWEET

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
Hey,

those arent patches put there by the previous owner. Those pieces of metal are there from the factory.

The herc looks SWEET

-Tim

Nope sorry I didn't mean the ones in the picture. There were patches of sheet metal under all that rust and dirt that were rivveted and siliconed in.

Thanks for the compliments!

looks like the back of my jeep......im thinking about doin the same thing but doin the front and back. nice job tho turned out great

Alot of the work we try to do to restore our equipment doesn't pan out so hot so be Proud, yours came out great. It must of been shocking when you pulled up the carpet. Job well done and it will make the O'l Cherokee live a longer and stronger life and you will sleep better knowing how good it looks.

damn how much did u buy that jeep for? I bought mine for 400$ 89xj 4.5lift and the floor had no rust. I also rattle canned it with bedliner.

I would keep the carpet in the front. I took mine out after I herced mine, and it made the interior supper noisy and hot.

Ended up buying a carpet kit and putting it in it was so bad.

Yeah I'm definitely keeping the front carpet in there. The rest of the floor wasn't rusted through as the only bad part was above the muffler there.

Also, I touched the sheet metal above the muffler after going up a ski hill and it was warm to the touch but nothing super hot.

I payed $1700 for it here in Canada, which is actually a good price for an '89 to tell the truth. Most around that year are going for $2500ish. Ofcourse a week after I bought it I saw one in the paper for $1600 but what can ya do.

Sucks that it's so much more than in the states. Prolly woulda been a $600 jeep there. Oh well, I've learned a lot on it.

ranger125 said:
het mattbred where did u get the herculiner from ??? i am located in canada and cant find it anywhere

I ordered it from Amazon.com. 100 or some odd dollars. I think it came to 130 with shipping, duty, etc. Worth it in my opinion. Very much worth it.

verry kool , can u get it in canada with out ordering it by chance ?? i have had no luck with ups and frankly i quit odering from the usa cause i have had soo much trouble and extra cost from gettin stuff across the border

Not sure. I phoned many different places and no one has even heard of it.

No one around here has heard of Herculiner, Por15, and PB Blaster. :(

Looks good! :thumbup:

Want to do mine next? :D

lol

yeah the usa has all the cool goodies haha , but gettin them to canada if u dont live near the border is a pain . thats the only think that sux about being up here that i can think of lol

Back