• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much gear lube does an 8.25 hold? and do I need it?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got an 8.25 29 spline rear axle complete, put it under my jeep. It has 4.56 gears and a dana limited slip. I popped the fill plug and BLACK oil/lube poured out... is this normal? Only 3,000 miles ago the limited slip and gears were installed (by a dodge tech) with Mopar $ynthetic lube and limited slip additive. Should it be black? I would say it was the color of very used motor oil and also had the consistency of very used motor oil.

If you think it does need changed, how much do I need? I am going to use Amsoil severe 75W110, with amsoil additive.

Any other input?

I can't remember the exact number, but there is a break in period for new gears, 1500 rings a bell for some reason. And, I think the fluid should be level with the fill plug or just below it.

Was there any clutch material in the bottom of the housing? That color doesn't sound right for that mileage.

Is the diff getting hot? You should be able to touch and palm the housing for a second or 2 before you have to pull your hand off(after an hour or 2 of driving) most diffs will run 150-180 degrees.

Get 2 quarts of diff lube

That color is not correct for 3000 miles......

Especially with a synthetic....

Black gear lube is a sign of overheating.

Get that cover off of there, take a look for clutch material in the fluid.
Take a can of brake clean and spray everything clean in there.

4.9 pints or just over 2 1/2 quarts. Fill to 1/2 inch below the fill plug.

RTV is all you need for the cover....

Look for the material the clutches that operate the limited slip.

It will be fiberous pieces, gritty. If the clutch material is in the diff, it will be in the bottom. It would be in the sludge.

Back