• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front skid - how necessary?

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking around for skids for my 98, I've come up with a factory transfer case skid and gas tank skid, but it doesn't seem like there are many front skids around. I started looking at aftermarket stuff, and most of the companies that offer skids for the rest of an XJ don't make one for the front. The only one that does, that I found anyways, was Rusty's. So that got me thinking- do I even need one? There must be a lot of guys that do a lot of wheeling without one. What about engine/oil pan skids? Seems like I'd be better off looking into belly pans or sliders.

So tell me- who can't live without their front or engine skid, and who couldn't care less?

I took mine off. The only thing it did for me was keep water out of my alternator when it rained, but it got in the way of my steering a lot..

^ Yea it does get in the way of steering and front end maintainence, but if you deal a lot with medium sized rocks and dirt, I would rather it hit a skid than everything else that's under there that could bend.

The front skid is very useful because it helps protect the front steering components. However, if you have a lift over 4 inches the skid becomes useless. It also keeps water from splashing up on the alternator

I don't have it installed in this pic, but you can see how it wouldnt protect any of my steering from the rocks. ;)

steering.jpg

cal said:
I don't have it installed in this pic, but you can see how it wouldnt protect any of my steering from the rocks. ;)

steering.jpg

Nope! You have too much lift for the stock skid to help you. 4" or less and they work well.

Nice steering set-up!

WheelsUp said:
and that's why they don't have them when I check.
I usually don't hit the yards up there except every once in a while when I go see my son at VT. It seems the yards around Roanoke are less picked through so far.

D-44's are extinct in this area now though!

Last edited:
88XjLaredo said:
The front skid is very useful because it helps protect the front steering components. However, if you have a lift over 4 inches the skid becomes useless. It also keeps water from splashing up on the alternator

Mine works great to slide up onto obstacles. My front bumper tapers at the same angle from the bottom of my winch plate to the bottom of the front skid. They line up perfectly. I'm swapping in a HP D44 with a true crossover high steer setup so it will also protect my steering with 6" of lift. Right know I have the same angle from the 34" height of the winch plate to the bottom of the skid. The grille guard adds 8" of angle on the upright supports that is slightly steeper to help its ability to slide even more. The bumper sticks out more then the stock bumper, but the approach angle is much better then it was with a stock bumper.

MJ005.jpg

I've always pulled them off and sold them because I don't have a habit of ramming into stuff.....but I don't wheel where there's lots of hidden tree stumps, mud or mutant trolls that need deflecting either.

XJEEPER said:
I've always pulled them off and sold them because I don't have a habit of ramming into stuff.....but I don't wheel where there's lots of hidden tree stumps, mud or mutant trolls that need deflecting either.

I've used it on a rock ledges before that would have wiped out my pitman arm most likely.

Its the mutant trolls that are the biggest problem thou...

Wheeling is different when you can't see threw the snow or mud. It's like driving by feel.

I think they help stabilize the front frame rails to some degree.

Fred

C.Semprini said:
I dont understand. Were these skid plates an options? Which XJs came with "factory" skid plates?
Yes, they come with the Up Country package.

Back