• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHY NOT TO LIFT?

GRWHITE

NAXJA Forum User
On another thread a person said there are many reasons to lift and not to lift. Can someone list the reasons to not lift before I make the decision to do it or not do it. Thanks in advance.

I didn't start getting anal from hot chicks until I lifted mine ;)

cal said:
If you lift it, it will fold like a taco.

LOL. I love that phrase... fold like a taco.. HA!

Seriously though, reasons not to: Rides rougher most times, higher center of gravity, harder to get in/out of, need bigger tires, need deeper gears for the bigger tires, you will then want to wheel it, which will most certainly lead to wanting lockers, and/or breaking things.

All this being said... I lifted mine baby!

Love2Ride450 said:
Seriously though, reasons not to: Rides rougher most times, higher center of gravity

You did something wrong then.

Love2Ride450 said:
harder to get in/out of

Ok. If you stand 4'8", don't lift it. I have mine lifted almost 7" with 35" tires and don't have problems getting in and out...?

Love2Ride450 said:
need bigger tires, need deeper gears for the bigger tires, you will then want to wheel it, which will most certainly lead to wanting lockers, and/or breaking things.

You can't blame the lift of the wants and actions of the driver. :)

Love2Ride450 said:
All this being said... I lifted mine baby!

Has it gone taco yet?

In all seriousness GRWHITE, come out to the Valley m&g next tuesday and check out some of the rigs there, talk to people. Then make it out to a wheeling event or two (I have one Jan 19/20 I could let you tag along on) and see how the different rigs are setup, talk to the people driving them. Most people are very forthcoming about the pros and cons of each setup, and it will make a lot more sense to you when you can stand there and point at things while asking questions.

Valley m&g info here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938721

cracker said:
I didn't start getting anal from hot chicks until I lifted mine ;)

I've told you several times, those 'girls' that hop in your rig on hollywood blvd arent "chicks" ... .. and thats why ...

Soccer Moms and weirdos drive stock...."thay that ith thuch a pretty car":puke: You need at least a budget boost and some manly black steel wheels.

Seriously, I love my rigs...both are lifted...the XJ is 4-5" and MJ #1 is 6.5. They both handle better than they did stock. Not all soft and mushy...

I am firm believer that you should do recovery points and armour and wheel it stock and open till you've figured out where you want to go, and what you'll actually need. By the time you determine those things, the experience you've gained wheeling an otherwise stock rig, will be far more benifical than any lift/locker setup to a newbie driver.
Additionally, you'll be suprised where a 'stock' XJ will go with decent tires and good driving... far further than most realize.

cal said:
You did something wrong then.

Ok. If you stand 4'8", don't lift it. I have mine lifted almost 7" with 35" tires and don't have problems getting in and out...?

You can't blame the lift of the wants and actions of the driver. :)

Has it gone taco yet?

Okay, so I bought RC front springs (pretty stiff ride), and didn't go long arm. Even if I did, the control arm angle would not be ideal for a smooth ride. I like the firm ride, and don't mind the harshness of the less than ideal control arm angle, I'm just saying some people would consider this a negative. I realize you were not criticizing, just want the OP to understand where I'm coming from.

I believe there is a fairly new thread about interior grab handles for short spouses who have a hard time getting in to their XJ's... I'm 6', and my wife is 5'10", so I don't care, but someone might...

Who's gonna lift their heep and not put bigger tires on?

No taco yet, I'm amazed I survive every time I turn the key....

only reason not to lift a jeep is MONEY, if you dont have it.

I had to sell all my old records and stuff to get the money up... Turned out I made more than I thought. BUT, and this is a VERY BIG BUT...

Once you do 3 inches you'll want 5... and once you do the lift, then you feel the need to get Bumpers... Then you find out you should get an SYE.... then you gotta find out what SYE means... then you gotta spent 1000 on tires then you gotta get Hella lights... then....

Mike H. said:
I am firm believer that you should do recovery points and armour and wheel it stock and open till you've figured out where you want to go, and what you'll actually need. By the time you determine those things, the experience you've gained wheeling an otherwise stock rig, will be far more benifical than any lift/locker setup to a newbie driver.
Additionally, you'll be suprised where a 'stock' XJ will go with decent tires and good driving... far further than most realize.

Yeah i deffinetly second that and can vouge for 4 other of my friends that deffinatley agree. Learn to drive, find what you like the most(rocks for me) then go from there. A stock rig with disconnects or not, with a good spotter and the knowledge to know when to floor it or crawl it will teach essential skills that will really help out in the long run. So much that when you do decide and it comes down to a lift and lockers you will do the stuff the bigger guys are doing only with way more finesse. Like those guys that do rock gardens in like 4 mins that take others(with all the bells and whistles) 30 mins and the faster guy has an open drink in one hand with open diffs with a stick shift and never spills a drop! ( Ha Ha not mentioning names but he is like an idol to us here!)

Love2Ride450 said:
Okay, so I bought RC front springs (pretty stiff ride), and didn't go long arm. Even if I did, the control arm angle would not be ideal for a smooth ride. I like the firm ride, and don't mind the harshness of the less than ideal control arm angle, I'm just saying some people would consider this a negative. I realize you were not criticizing, just want the OP to understand where I'm coming from.

Drop brackets, some good shocks, and a couple hundred pounds of steel up front - and it will ride like a caddy. ;)

Love2Ride450 said:
I believe there is a fairly new thread about interior grab handles for short spouses who have a hard time getting in to their XJ's... I'm 6', and my wife is 5'10", so I don't care, but someone might...

I used to date a short girl. Not having handles for her meant we took her clean quiet high mpg car every single time. :)

Love2Ride450 said:
Who's gonna lift their heep and not put bigger tires on?

His name is fish.
mojave%20road%202006%20251.jpg

What gets me is that he put his sleeping gear on the roof rack and his gas can in the cargo space.

Love2Ride450 said:
No taco yet, I'm amazed I survive every time I turn the key....

mmmm tacos!

Reasons to lift:

More clearance
fit bigger tires
more capability
better lookin jeep
to gain the ability to watch DOWN on people in cars...and u'll be amazed on what you see :)

Reasons NOT to lift:
bad back
if you are an elf...
prevent empty wallet
avoid skinned knuckles
mommy says NO
prevent taco-lization
fear of heights
thinner air

Mine handles way better than stock with a 2.25" lift from V8 coil springs, a .75" spacer and a broncoII bastard pack. Lifting it cost me less than $200 with brand new coils, new u-bolts etc. I put some new shocks on for another $150.
It depends how wild you want to get.
Oh, and I don't run any swaybars (front or rear), and it STILL handles better than stock with the slightly stiffer spring rate.

Not to lift? Money. I've been piecing mine together, just put 4.5" RE coils in up front that I got for free, and I need new shocks, steering components (at least a drop pitman to correct the angles there and a drag link to recenter the axle), control arms or drop brackets, etc...

Ummmm....reasons not to lift? :nono: Why...I'm...just...I...don't even know what to say to that. That has never crossed my mind. When I figure how much money to spend on a Jeep...lift and tires are ALWAYS factored in.

Reasons to lift FAR out-weigh reasons not to. I mean if you are just flat broke...then...don't do it. But otherwise, LIFT IT!

Back