• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV/PCV for 97+ (PICS)

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I went to the dealer to get a replacement CCV breather/vent/elbow (part# 53030495) and tube (part# 4854265) to the intake manifold. The part numbers seem to check out, but the elbow I took out has a completely different orifice size than the new part. The old part has the tiny hole and the new part has the wide open hole.

Anybody know the story on this? Did Mopar do away with the tiny hole because it's known to clog up?

ccv2.jpg

ccv1.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is an 88 so mine it different but.....

It looks like the orifice in the old part may come out. I would find that a but surprising if it intentionally did.

The orifice is needed to provide the correct amount of vacuum to scavenge the block. If you pull the other end of the manifold while it's running, the idle should jump due to the vacuum "leak".

Why are you replacing it?

Saudade said:
Why are you replacing it?
I was starting to find oil stains around the grommit on the valve cover. I was guessing either the elbow or tube was clogged. The rubber on the hose was all brittle, so I decided replace both parts.

I took another look at the old part and the orifice isn't an insert. It looks like it is because of the brown color. I'm guessing exposure to the engine oil must have dyed it to look like that.

I started my Heep up and it idled and ran normally with the new elbow in place. I'm confused.

now. there are 2 different CCV valves. a gray one and a black one. 1 of them goes in the back of the valve cover, and the other 1 goes in the front of the valve cover. what you are comparing there are 2 different part numbers.

this is a picture of my engine. (notice i'm standing behind the engine) so the black CCV valve goes towards the grill end of the valve cover, and the gray CCV valve goes towards the firewall end of the valve cover.
DSC_1949.jpg

i'm like 99% sure that if you look very very close at the CCV valve you will see 3 part # printed on it. they will have colors next to them. 1#=gray 1#=black 1#=i don't remember.

they gave you the wrong valve.

Last edited:
Thanks for poitning out the color part number thing. I didn't even notice the one I took off was gray. I thought it was faded black haha. The other color is blue. I guess that guy at the parts counter grabed a part out of the wrong bin.

Another weird thing I noticed is that my front breather elbow is different than yours. It doesn't stand off the valve cover, so that's why I didn't think he gave me the front one by accident. That still confuses me, but oh well.

ccv3.jpg

excuse my ignorance, but what are these for?

i have a 98 xj and the front pipe is not connected to anything, its just hanging there...
the airbox has been replaced with a k&n cone.

and dont even think i have the pipe at the back??

can you maybe show me a picture of the back pipe and where it is connected to please?

will these affect the fuel consumption?

i recently got this jeep and still learning...

thanks for any advise

The front pipe connects to the air cleaner box. This allowed fresh, filtered air to be drawn into the block. The previous owner must have "forgot" to hook it up. The back one is connected to a vacuum source on the intake manifold. It draws out fumes from the engine out and dumps it into the intake to be burned. You can see the rear one in the photo above.

You should have some kind of filter on the front rather than leave the big hole open. If the back one truly is disconnected and the vacuum source is unplugged, you have one heck of a vacuum leak.

thanks for that,

the front one still has the long pipe on it and ends near the k&n filter but not connected.

looking at that photo, where does the back pipe then go and connect to?

i am sure i dont have that pipe at the back but will check it again, but it drives well but does about 12mpg could this be the cause?

if you look at the lower left side of this picture you'll see a few vacuum fitting sticking out of the manifold. the rear CCV valve connects to the 4th fitting which is the one next to the throttle body.

DSC_1949.jpg

Thayer said:
Not sure what you're trying to point out. My question is whether Mopar has upgraded the orifice size on 97+ CCV elbow.

yes they did, if you are speaking of the inside orifice of the ccv itself... if you look further into the thread, they upgraded it to stop blowby issues.... it's a pretty common issue, they don't make the older smaller one anymore.
that is your question right??? the size issue on the ccv? :phone:

acrid said:
yes they did, if you are speaking of the inside orifice of the ccv itself... if you look further into the thread, they upgraded it to stop blowby issues.... it's a pretty common issue, they don't make the older smaller one anymore.
that is your question right??? the size issue on the ccv? :phone:
I think I'm totally missing something here. All I could find in that thread is this:

Harlee&Tahoe said:
clean the 2.6 mm orifice on valve cover also the vacuume line that runs to your intake manifold(carb cleaner works well). There is no P.C.V. this style is a C.C.V. system (controlled vacuume leak, basically)

The gray part has the tiny (probably about 2.6 mm orifice, but I haven't measured it myself). I've been to busy to go back to the dealer to return the black part and to ask if he actually gave me the wrong thing. I ended up cleaning my gray part and putting it back on.

Back