• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Bolt Question HELP!!

wakesk8fool

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 cherokee with a sye eliminator and tom woods drive shaft. What size are the bolts on the driveshaft at the transfer case? There are four of them and they attach the slip yoke right to the driveshaft. Are these factory jeep bolts or are they bolts i need to get from tom woods?

The temptation to be a smartass here is almost overwhelming.....

okay...do you have the u-bolts that hold your u-joint to the yoke on the Transfer Case? or the straps? if they are the straps, you can just get them at NAPA i believe....

SYE=Slip Yoke Eliminator

SYE Eliminator - does that mean you have a standard Slip Yoke? :)

sorry, i couldnt resist....

On my 99 with a RE SYE - if I recall correct, I used a 5/8" wrench. But they do thread into the flange and are backed by a lock nut.

I need the bolts that come through the back of the flange on the sye and attach to the flange on the driveshaft. They are semi-long 5/16 bolts i believe and they do not have straps.

flange = yoke?

Ok, if you have straps....you should be able to get them at NAPA. I've been told before not to re-use the straps either...

The straps are used on the back of the driveshaft at the axle on mine. Those bolts are shorter. The front of the cv drivesfat doesnt use those on mine it just goes through the flange that is attached to my utput shaft on the tcase and thread directly into the cv on my driveshaft. I dont think those bolts come with any of the sye of driveshaft kits and i cant find them anywhere else.

do you have an NP242 transfer case that was done with a "hack and tap" SYE kit?

Nope i have the regular sye kit but on my driveshaft instead of having the little straps that wrap around the yoke and attach to the sye kit i have bolts that go straight through and thread into the driveshaft.

That has to be a Tom Woods proprietary thing - i've never seen that before....

sorry I couldnt be of more help...

FWIW, if you call Tom Woods, HE actually answers the phone half the time and he's a SUPER nice guy...

go to the dealership they're like 4 dollars for all 4. make them pull up the diagram for the FRONT SHAFT and point at what you need because dealership workers can be very very dumb.

Back