• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Dana 44

2000_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a Dana 44 out of an 87 xj and Im trying to get some new chromoly axle shafts, but I can only find them for wrangler D44's. Are they axle shafts the same lenght are are the XJ shafts shorter? thanks for the help

RyanM said:
I know what you mean 2000, I used to see them all the time XJ specific.

Wonder what these are http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=605

What do you mean by "Wonder what these are"?

Those are the shafts I'm running in my XJ Dana44. XJ and TJ shafts are the same(or close enough that it doesn't matter).
You have to get your own retainer plates to fit your application. The retainers are different between drum and disc braked applications.

as in xj or tj, which retainer I didn't know what you typed before... i get it now pal

another consideration is the dual bolt pattern aftermarket shafts may not fit disk brakes with their oversized flanges. You may have to get it machined down to 5.94" stock size ( I have explorer disks - others may be different)

A buddy of mine just ordered Superior shafts for his TJ Rubicon d44 and they sent him both sets of bearing retainer plates. The ones with the lip are for disc brakes, and the flat plates are for drum brakes. I believe the lengths are the same for TJ/XJ/MJ shafts, although there is a .50" difference between the left and right shafts. (lenths are 29.25" and 29.75")

http://completeoffroad.com/i-124160-d44-jeep-tj-xj-mj-rear-axle-kit-30-spline.html

lapisxj said:
A buddy of mine just ordered Superior shafts for his TJ Rubicon d44 and they sent him both sets of bearing retainer plates. The ones with the lip are for disc brakes, and the flat plates are for drum brakes. I believe the lengths are the same for TJ/XJ/MJ shafts, although there is a .50" difference between the left and right shafts. (lenths are 29.25" and 29.75")

http://completeoffroad.com/i-124160-d44-jeep-tj-xj-mj-rear-axle-kit-30-spline.html
why does it say they wont fit rubicon if they fit xj and tj? what is different about Rubicon shafts?

'Cause the Rubi rear isn't REALLY a D-44....

I bought a set of Big Spling Alloy USA shafts from summitracing.com.

They were XJ specific. I don't have the item number anymore but they are cheap too. Only down fall is having to run either an ARB or Detroit. No one else makes a locker with big spline side gears.

MudDawg said:
'Cause the Rubi rear isn't REALLY a D-44....

Why do you say that? I know the front isn't really a d44 as it's outters are 30's but the rear is about as 44 as it gets.

OLAK, I don't know why they wouldn't fit a Rubi unless the bearings and retainer plates are already pressed on. Maybe someone else has an answer.

CLOUDSWIMMER, I believe that kit will work with your drum brakes but you will need the flat bearing retainer plates that should be on your 44 now. If you change over to discs then you'll need to switch to either the flanged Rubicon backing plates (and redrill the hole pattern) or make a custom spacer ring.

lapisxj said:
CLOUDSWIMMER, I believe that kit will work with your drum brakes but you will need the flat bearing retainer plates that should be on your 44 now. If you change over to discs then you'll need to switch to either the flanged Rubicon backing plates (and redrill the hole pattern) or make a custom spacer ring.

Ok great thanks!

Back