• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockrite wont come out!

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i pulled the shafts, pulled the cross pin out,pulled out the springs, the ring gear leaves me tons of room. and ive been pulling on this lockrite pretty hard! i dont want to screw anything up, but it wont come out and there is nothing in the way. it was a semi floating d35! ive read tons of threads for assembling these things, but none of them talk about forcing these things back out when its time

:confused:

I had to do a little trimming on my D30 Carrier to get mine in... have you tried pulling it out of the opposite side of the carrier? I still say cut the housing in half since its a junker...

well, thats the prob, its at local pull yourself yard, and i dont have a torch. if i have to im gonna pull the carrier, and try it again tomorrow, if worse come to worse ill buy the carrier too(49.99/carrier instead of 12.99/locker for the locker since they only know it as spider gears there, these hourly peeps dont even kno what a locker is)

sorry but i have to ask......you're not trying to remove the entire locker as a whole are you???

after removing the springs, you have to slide the pins to the opposite side so they are sitting where the springs where. otherwise the pins will hold the center drivers together. then once you have the center/cross-shaft removed, you slide one of the center drivers over a little and pull it out. then you pull that side gear out. then you can pull the opposite side driver out and then that side gear. and make sure you keep the trustwashers that are on the side gears.

if it was installed, it will come out.

PS: start with the driver on the pinion side of the carrier, not the ring gear side of the carrier. otherwise you'll be struggling. and congrats on the find. around here you can't find anything but stockers in the yards.

thanks for the advice guys, i was dead on, until that last post, ill check the center drivers and im headin to the yard tomorrow morn around 11am. my girlfreind complains that im always on naxja al night, craigslist under "cherokee" same on ebay, and same on google and at junk yards, most nights at least one hour in the garage , maybe 3-4, and at prairie city 4x4 park in between wheelin trips but its just how i roll

blondejoncherokee said:
thanks for the advice guys, i was dead on, until that last post, ill check the center drivers and im headin to the yard tomorrow morn around 11am. my girlfreind complains that im always on naxja al night, craigslist under "cherokee" same on ebay, and same on google and at junk yards, most nights at least one hour in the garage , maybe 3-4, and at prairie city 4x4 park in between wheelin trips but its just how i roll

Me too, every free minute is either working on vehicles or reading about them or searching and buying stuff :D

crap, this was weird, so no access to the c clip at all on this thing right...
so i start pulling the ring gear off while in the carrier, 2 bolts at a time, 2wd to turn it to the next two bolts, 4wd to wrench, after that i hamemred the ring gear as far as i could to the side, (after pulling the springs out) with the ring gear about 1.5 inches or so to the right, i had access to the c clip, but it was still a bitch to get out even then, so im wondering , did they have to bolt the ring gear on after installing the carrier? that was my only way to the pass shaft out, and it sucked, good news is, is that the peeps at pic n pull didnt know what it was, i told them it was a "spider gear replacement spacer" and they gave it to me for free. so a free lockright after a a few days of wrenchin in the mud aint too bad...

This thread is starting to smell bad(Im putting my waders on).How do move a ring gear over an 1-1.5" while the pinion is still in place.Of the the gears Ive done I dont se it possible!

RCP Phx said:
This thread is starting to smell bad(Im putting my waders on).How do move a ring gear over an 1-1.5" while the pinion is still in place.Of the the gears Ive done I dont se it possible!

x2 why didn't you just pull the carrier set it on the ground behind the jeep and work on it there???

scorpio_vette said:
x2 why didn't you just pull the carrier set it on the ground behind the jeep and work on it there???
You cant,thats the problem,he's working on a C-clip axle!Thats what this whole thread is about!!!!

It takes a wire coat hanger or a piece of welding rod bent to get it out. It's in the lockright owners manual. That being said it looks like a real PITA to get it out after having installed one.

i had the drivers side front shaft out, that gave me a little play to move the carrier out. its all about the fact that this rig was a junk yard donor. like i said i took turns putting the jeep in 4wd and 2wd, removing two ring gear bolts at a time in 4wd, turning the ring gear in 2wd. this was my first time pulling axles and a locker. it still wouldnt budge, but heck, i was at picnpull, so i hammered the hell outta the ring gear to the right along with the 3ft prybar, and with the drivers side shaft out i was actually able to move the ring gear over with the pinion in! i wouldnt do this on a rig i was wheeling, i dont reccamend it! but on a donor heep, who cares. so with the ring gear barely to the side i held the two left peices of the lockright open after pulling the springs with a flat head screwdriver. if youre running a dana 30 with 3.73's that go over the center pin ill gladly show you. it really sucked. this was my last chance to get it out, and its been pouring rain here in cali, so it hasnt been nice weather either. i used a ratcheting tow strap to pull the right side of the carrier out a bit along with a 3 ft pry bar, one end attached to the jeep, the other hook to the prybar, and yank. talk about 4 separate days at the junk yard, but this was my first time pulling a locker out by myself.

then i was able to access the c clip with a small punch , way smaller than the one i used to hammer the cross shaft retaining pin out with, then i slid out the pass inner shaft

Back