• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any welders here- need advice

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
howdy- I'm looking at picking up a cheap Harbor Freight Tools welder for a couple projects I have around the house. Before the flaming/lectures start, yes, I know they are not made to last, and yes I know I should save my money for a Lincoln/Miller/Hobart etc... but... given the choice, would a 120 amp arc 'stick' welder, or a 90 amp flux core wire welder be the best for me? (no mig- don't want to mess with the gas) Both are around $100 bucks. I plan to use it to weld an exhaust clamp, maybe weld on some bpe/brackets, build a roof rack, and fix a fireplace damper handle in the house, and other small stuff here and there.
I'm not doing any bodywork or sheetmetal, but I don't want to burn through my exhaust.

get the wire welder for the smaller stuff like sheetmetal and exhaust, a arc welder is overkill for them and makes it really easy to burn through.

Prepmech said:
get the wire welder for the smaller stuff like sheetmetal and exhaust, a arc welder is overkill for them and makes it really easy to burn through.

X2 a cheaper one should be just fine for what you describe!

I just spent the money on a Hobart Handler 140 and love it. It does 1/4 well.

For what you describe you should be fine with a less exspensive one.

I have personally used the harbor frieght wire feed welder....TRASH...It broke instantly after 3 seconds of use. Won't feed the wire. I think it has enough power for sheet metal, but it is such garbage. Their stick welder is ok.....if you have to but I agree with the above posts about burning through, and it is pretty much useless. Temping to buy, I know, been there, wish I hadn't, but lesson learned. I opted for the Lincoln 140 or 135 which is a 115V that does well flux core or gas up to 1/4 no problem, and does GREAT on sheetmetal. paid 300 bucks new including shipping. Whole package. I have used 4 or 5 others as well, and they hold up doing well. I know its more, Hobart and Miller are also good, but cost more. I did get a deal on mine off eBay, but keep your eyes peeled, you'll be glad you did.

Buy a good used mig welder. the comment is correct about the wire feeder. There is nothing worse thant a crappy wire feed, plus it wont maintain a good amp curve, which causes it to get hot and cold as you use it. there is a ton of killer used welders out there.

However, keep in mind that GOOD and POWERFUL are not always the same. A miller 252 is one damn good welder, but way overkill for most people applications. Look for something with a high duty cycle and that is easily/quickly repairable.

Back