• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with D30 HP

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and I want to swap in a Dana 30 HP axle. In a recent post I was told to look for a 98 - 99 HP axle. I have been searching for two days now on Naxja, Pirate and Google for anyone that has built a D30 HP with truss, High steer, alloy shaft's ect. I want to build a stong D30 HP for my XJ and am looking for advice and pictures. Can anyone help me?

try looking for zj/wj/yj/tj builds too steering/suspension will be a little different, but the internals should all be the same.

chris420 said:
I have a 2000 XJ and I want to swap in a Dana 30 HP axle. In a recent post I was told to look for a 98 - 99 HP axle. I have been searching for two days now on Naxja, Pirate and Google for anyone that has built a D30 HP with truss, High steer, alloy shaft's ect. I want to build a stong D30 HP for my XJ and am looking for advice and pictures. Can anyone help me?

If you're going to add alloys, anything from an XJ 92-99 will be fine. Also, some 87-91 will be fine, and some 87-91 will be fine if you replace a seal on the passenger side.

It'll be tough to find a trussed high steer 30 already built. I've run with very few with trusses, let alone selling their axle. High steer is still a little rare too. Often, when someone does that kind of work, their planning on keeping the axle a while.

ZJ might be high pinion...but it might be low. I don't know.

Don't waste your time with a YJ front axle, or WJ.

TJ is low pinion. Yes, even that year.

MJ is exactly the same as XJ, except all 87-91 will be disconnect housings and need that seal replaced that I mentioned above.

If you're really a pimp, get the Vanco brake upgrade on a Tera high steer knuckle.

I plan on building the axle myself I have all the tools mig, chop saw grinders ect. I was just wondering if anyone has done a build wright up with pics, part numbers and cost if possible. I just want an idea of how much it will cost me and the mods that will be needed to do the job.

Tera knuckle is about $300, Vanco brakes is about $700 plus a core charge I think, steering linkages $150? Everything else except gears and locker could be fabricated from steel.

Back