• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake question again........

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
Ok I have been searching and can’t find what I am after. Either I can’t search or I am just to tired.
I have a non abs 97xj. Disk up front of course and a 8.8 with disk in the back. I took put the rubber plunger thing in the proportioning valve out. I have bled the heck out of this thing. When I do the pedal is hard but as soon as I move its mush. It has always been mush for as long as I can remember. I am thinking of going to Hydro brakes but is there any thing else I can do in the mean time?
Can I swap out the MC fairly cheaply that will give me a better result?
If so from what make and year vehicle should I look for? I need to do some thing pretty quick. I was wheeling and for some reason I lost total brake pressure and slid back. First time it ever happened and didn’t happen the rest of the weekend. But I need to do some thing.
I run steel wheels with either 32 or my 34’s. Auto trany 4:10’s for gears.
Thanks for any help.

The master/booster you have should be more than fine. Something is wrong with your brake setup though. Can you tell if your booster is leaking?

Let it run for a few minutes, and then turn the engine off. Wait ~30 min and pull the vacume line from your booster - see if you hear a hiss as the vacume is broken.

Sounds like the piston seal in your master cylinder is pooped. Replace with stock. Going to a larger MC is only going to reduce your braking power.

I will check to see if the booster is leaking. Other than that every thing seems fine.

One of the two is leaking, or you have a TON of air in your lines - but it sounds like a leakypoo.

The booster leaking wouldn't cause your brakes to go out on the trail or the pedal to go to the floor; you'll just have less vacuum assist.

The brakes have been bled and bled and then bled with a break bleeding machine. I am not losing any fluid so what would be leaking then?

cal said:
Then replace your master. ;)

Is there an upgrad I can do for the master?
Any thing better out there I should put on?

Ok 30 min are up and pulled the hose from the booster and it had vaccume. So that is fine.

OK I will try that. Just was trying to see if there was some thing better to replace it with before i did it.

Back