• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap U-Joint Questions and general wtf?

Mtb Jak

NAXJA Forum User
okay got the shaft drilled tapped and ready to go.

and that infamous spicer part
DS out of 92-94 auto

dddkb5.jpg

and now..
:banghead:

ujointsd2.jpg

Okay how do I even remove U-Joints? (searched) no avail

What do i need to finish this??
different ujoint?
where can i get it and whats the part number?

Front Wheel drive sucks and isnt goood on this dry pavement!

NAXJA to the rescue!! :patriot:

I just changed my U-joints on Saturday in my rear DS, it's the stock one though. I used this writeup:
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/

I think I had the original U-joints installed, it took a lot of Kroil and lots of beating with a big hammer (followed by minor deburring with a Dremel due to damage caused by overapplication of the big hammer).

Okay, first of all, you need to remove the u-joint in the picture from your driveshaft. When you do that, the smaller piece that has the 4 holes tapped into it for the u-joint clamps will come off- you don't need it.

Then you are going to install the u-joint (either the one you removed or a new one) into your spicer flange. Then install the flange into your driveshaft.

That's the short answer. I posted a reply about this in somebody elses thread, I'll see if I can find it and copy and past it.

He beat me too it!
That's a good writeup, if you don't have a vise or a bench you can use your concrete garage floor and some bricks or blocks.

Oops, I just realized that was you who asked the question about this in the other thread.... oh well...

qqqrq1.jpg

uhhh wtf.. it wont come out!!

Mtb Jak said:
qqqrq1.jpg

You've got it started, that's the hard part.

Keep going, with using a large socket behind it and a small socket to drive it through all the way as in the link above. When it gets close, you may need to pull off the cap with a pair of vise grips...

I just did that this weekend. Using a vice, a socket, a big hammer and a torch helped immensley.
Also make sure you take the lock rings out.

:HIJACK:

On this subject, say I have a shiny new tom woods flange style CV driveshaft and want to change it to a normal SYE style driveshaft, what part number do I need to get? ;)

Mtb Jak said:
qqqrq1.jpg

Get mad at it with a big hammer or use a vice, just make sure all your snap rings are out. Shouldn't take more than 20 mins to do u-joints.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with some pliers to pull off the bearing cap.

Those are fun, We just did mine (exact same thing), we ended up removing both joints starting with the joint closest the shaft

The centering ball is holding that joint from moving close enough to come out, youll break something with a big hammer

Back