• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans fluid

veedubbin

NAXJA Forum User
I have 100k miles and I was going to get the trans fluid changed. I bought my cherokee with 98k miles and I am not sure if it has been changed before. Anyway I was wondering if I should get a complete flush or just a fluid change.

a flush wont hurt, just make sure they dont do a high pressure flush.....

for the love of god, dont ask what fluid to use - if its shifting fine, then just use DexIII or an acceptable equivilent (Amsoil TorqueDrive)

if its an auto trans it should be red. manual tranny is gear lube(gl-3) or sometimes motor oil.

so, auto or manual trans

89xj said:
if its an auto trans it should be red. manual tranny is gear lube(gl-3) or sometimes motor oil.

so, auto or manual trans
Its an auto, I was asking this question because a bunch of people on jeepforums said tranny flushes were bad on high milage. It seemed odd that they would say that, but I wanted to be sure.

generally, for those who have something wrong with their tranny, then yes, it's bad, because the old gunk in their tranny is all thats holding it together...

its like the people who say dont switch to synthetic if you have high mileage, because you'll get leaks - well, that just tells you that you need to redo your seals and gaskets....

EDIT: To clarify, YES, its perfectly ok to do a tranny flush...

Do the flush on the trans, but with that number of miles on it I would make sure to change the filter as well. You will be amazed at the difference in shift quality afterwards.

Off topic, but the manual tranny takes GL-5, not GL-3, right?

Cripes! No kidding?! I have a 1991 XJ with the AX-15 and the Haynes manual says GL-5 75W-90. I have been using plain old Valvoline 80W-90 GL-5 for the last 100,000 miles...just changed it again last week! Is this yet ANOTHER piece of bad information from the Haynes manual?:flamemad: Geez I need to cough up the dough for a factory service manual. 20% of the time I am figuring out how to do it myself because the Haynes is 'not quite right'. ARGHHHHHH!

XJ AV8R said:
Cripes! No kidding?! I have a 1991 XJ with the AX-15 and the Haynes manual says GL-5 75W-90. I have been using plain old Valvoline 80W-90 GL-5 for the last 100,000 miles...just changed it again last week! Is this yet ANOTHER piece of bad information from the Haynes manual?:flamemad: Geez I need to cough up the dough for a factory service manual. 20% of the time I am figuring out how to do it myself because the Haynes is 'not quite right'. ARGHHHHHH!

i will be doing a fluid change on my 89 with 5sp and will be using either redline mt90 or royal purple sycromax, even though it rated gl-5, it suposed to not eat up the soft meatals.

Back