• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to convert a '95 into a '99

440swepty

NAXJA Forum User
There is major differences between early and late models. You'll be needing some fab. skills and proper tools. I don't recommend this upgrade unless you have both vehicles!!! Half the holes in the firewall will be different. My donor is a rolled '99 Cherokee and I'm modifing a '95 chassis. I have taken random pictures and will describe the mods. I'll start with the dash install. Sorry, I'm using flux core wire and my welds suck. I'll be buying my gas cylinder soon!!! Kevin

Here are all the pics that I update almost weekly: http://www.putfile.com/mopar400/images/166226

The major difference is the carrier for the steering column/brake pedal. You have to remove the spot welded brackets and make fastening points at the "A" pilar for the aluminum carrier. You must remove all sheet metal brackets on the older model firewall before you start the swap.

'95 brackets removed

'99 brackets before removal

Steering column carrier fitted and "A" pilar bolts installed

"A" pillar fasteners(outside)

Also the center bracket and the pass bracket need transfered

You will also have to modify the 4 holes by the windshield. These bolt the upper part of the dash to the body. You can see speed nut clips at the left and right. Also you can see the welds around the modified tabs. The lower 2 holes for the dash module also have to be modified at the " A" pilars.

The bottom left and right dash module holes are also different. I welded a nut to a small piece of sheet metal and tack welded into place. I positioned it behind the door frame through the door harness hole with my hand and installed the bolt before tacking. The hood release handle also has to be moved down about 2 1/2" as shown it the pic.
Sorry, bad pic

The last bolts used by the dash module is for the lower center bracket. These go under the transmission tunnel. They are studs screwed into a thick metal backing plate. I removed the threaded plates from the '99, hammered the '95 floor flat and then tack welded the threaded plates to the floor.

Next will be firewall modification for the heater box and the steering.:cheers: Kevin

I'm doing something similiar with a 92 and 98. Been hung up on the dash and heater core; so I am anxious to see what you do.

On the left the steering and wiring harness holes are different

The main wiring harness holes are different in the firewall. I just spot welded the '99 section behind the '95. The harness grommet covers the square hole on the outside.
For the steering I patched the steering shaft hole with sheet metal. This is double thickness. After patching, reference the center point from the firewall seam and brake booster holes. Use a 2 1/2 hole saw.

Then drill the holes and install the plastic shield

Finished product

On the right side the hole needs modified for the heater core and expansion valve. I removed the bottom section of the '99 heater core hole and spot welded it to the inside of the firewall.

Also a 1 3/8 hole needs drilled for the fuse panel wiring harness(top left on pic). And the bottom left(on the pic) hole by the blower motor needs drilled for the stud on the heater box. All other heater box mounting stud line up.

Heater box, steering column brace, brake pedal assly., insulation, and fuse box installed.

Almost finished firewall

I found some more pics but I'm unable to edit my previous posts.

This is the inside view of the wiring harness hole after spot welding.

This showes the comparison from the outside.

Upper mounts for dash module

Pass. fuse box installed

Antenna wire hole on pass. side has to be patched and moved up to clear the fuse box.

Put in the body and underhood harnesses. Swapped the door switches. I was able to just plug everything in. The harness loom ties even went right in the old positions without drilling any new holes. Double checked everthing before dash install.

Modified the park brake hole for the new style park brake lever. I had to add a piece at the rear to shorten the opening.

Installing the dash assembly was the easy part!

Back