• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beefing up OEM bumper

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says, is there a way to beef up the OEM bumpers so that you could safely use a Hi-Lift and a Hi-Lift bumper lift attachment in the event of needing to change a tire on the highway? thanks tim

get a bottle jack or use the factory one, alot safer then a high lift

I use my bottle jack 10 times for every time I use my hi-lift.

I use it every time I change a tire.

Blaine B. said:
We've used hi lifts on factory bumpers with no ill effects.

I've stepped on factory bumpers and had them bend? ;)

xj_toker said:
As the title says, is there a way to beef up the OEM bumpers so that you could safely use a Hi-Lift and a Hi-Lift bumper lift attachment in the event of needing to change a tire on the highway? thanks tim

Probably not. Best advice has been given, use a bottle jack.

If you will use the hi-lift realize that you have to accomodate for the extension of the suspension.

xj_toker said:

Yes, rip it off and build your own.

Hi lifts are not for changing tires. They will bend your bumper and crush your rockers.

cal said:
I've stepped on factory bumpers and had them bend? ;)

Are you ? :)

Fat_bastard.jpeg

At 6'2" and 180 pounds? Not really, no.

The front bumpers are made out of tin foil. ;)

My friend got stuck deep....His 33's were about more than half covered in mud. We gathered some logs and crap and used the high lift on the logs lifting the front end up via the bumper until the front tires were above the mud. Then I pulled him at an angle until he got onto dry land and gained traction and drove right out.

Didn't alter the bumper one bit.

Back