• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aux light wiring question

cuboulder96xj

NAXJA Forum User
so i installed my new aux. lights on my front bumper today and ran into a snag at the very end basically after i had buttoned everything back up. for some reason switch stays lit in the "off" position, and i cant figure out why. earlier when i was testing the lights the switch was doing its job just fine, lighting up when in the "on" position and staying off when its switched to "off".

i didnt touch or change a thing from the time it was working til the time i gave her the final test, everything is connected and grounded where it needs to be but my switch wont shut off. i know its not a major deal, but i dont want that thing on all the time and possibly draining my battery when im gone from the XJ. any thoughts? thanks!

1. Use a different switch
2. Use the same switch, but break the bulb with a tiny hammer
3. Without knowing what type of switch (and thus if this is even possible) are you sure you didn't install it wired backwards or some such silliness?

Sounds like you lost the ground to the indicator bulb. :dunno:

everything is grounded properly...this ones a head scratcher, it was working fine then decided to flake on me. i might have to go to a different switch, any ideas where to get one?

Give me apicture or diagram of how you have it wired and is it a SPST switch?
Sounds like your accessorry and incoming power to the switch are backwards. Did you put a relay inline of the lights?

Jeepm@n said:
Sounds like your accessorry and incoming power to the switch are backwards. Did you put a relay inline of the lights?

Exactly what it sounds like. Not sure why it would just suddenly start doing it though, maybe you just didn't notice?

Jeepm@n said:

well im definetely no wiring expert and i mustve switched the two unknowingly after i had to run the postive cable to the lights through my fender, that fixed it. thanks so much for the help.

Back