• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

63" or so WMS front axles?

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any knowledge on any front axles with a WMS of 63" or so? I had been looking on the search threads but just came up with what is a good swap for an XJ. I have a 63"ish 14b FF for my rear now and want to match up the front so I dont have to have mismatched wheels with diffrent backspacing, or at least come close with a wheel spacer less tha 1.5".
Drivers side drop ofcourse.

Anyone?

A mid 80's front SRW HP D60 with the long side shortened about 5" would be about the perfect match at 64". It's strength and size make it a great combination.

I've never seen it done but I'm thinking a Ford HP Dana 44 from the late 1970s with Scout II hub assemblies might get you close. That raises some other issues ("weak" hubs) but it might get you close.

Root Moose said:
I've never seen it done but I'm thinking a Ford HP Dana 44 from the late 1970s with Scout II hub assemblies might get you close. That raises some other issues ("weak" hubs) but it might get you close.

To get the same 8 lug bolt pattern the HP D44 axle would be 67" wide. It is also nowhere near as strong as his rear axle is. Even if he used moly shafts and CTM joints it would still be way weaker.

TNT said:
To get the same 8 lug bolt pattern the HP D44 axle would be 67" wide. It is also nowhere near as strong as his rear axle is. Even if he used moly shafts and CTM joints it would still be way weaker.

Correct. I missed the part where he was asking about something 8 lug and matching his C14B.

lugs is not an issue. I can go with 5 or 8 cheaply. I have 8 lug C&C's but the 5 bolt C&C's are only $100 from a friend who doesn't need them anymore.

is getting the tube shortened a big deal? I found a good site for getting the shafts shortened and resplined, $150 for a pair of stock or $250 for a custom alloy. I could shave the D60 to match the rear and have no clearance issues.... hmm sounds like a good plan.

mk153smaw said:
is getting the tube shortened a big deal? I found a good site for getting the shafts shortened and resplined, $150 for a pair of stock or $250 for a custom alloy. I could shave the D60 to match the rear and have no clearance issues.... hmm sounds like a good plan.

Just grind the weld off, hammer the inner C off, cut the axle tube to length, put the inner C back on at the desired angle and weld it back on. I would also rotate the other C so you have proper pinion and caster angles.

IXNAYXJ said:
Just curious what size tires you're going to run on a 60/14b combo? I'd hope 38's or bigger, cause those are some big axles! If you're not going that big, you might consider a HP D44 and keep your XJ D44. Just a thought that might save you some time and money.

-----Matt-----

With the proper shaving he can gain a ton of clearance. It always better when it's shaved....:greensmok

Local guy in our club shaved his 14B housing and turned down the ring gear as well.

He had more clearance under the axle than a Dana 44 afterwards.

TNT said:
With the proper shaving he can gain a ton of clearance. It always better when it's shaved....:greensmok

X2. Except I didnt go very far, didnt shave the ring gear any.

Got to pick it up next week, had a 1/2" plate welded on the bottom.(lack of welding steel to cast skills on my part)

100_4799.jpg

After shave and 1/2" plate I have gained 2 1/4 clearance. I now have more than my D35C had with my 31"s on it. I am going to run 33's for now while I save up for stage III of my build. engine and rear end are now done, leaving the front end left for me to figure out for my year 2008 goals. After that I should be able to weld fairly ok enought to fab my own front and rear link sets, then tie the whole deal together with an exocage. I really want to do something that I can take to a truck challenge and win. I think it iwll pretty much sit on a 37 or a 38 tire, from what I have studied that size is about right for crawlin. I figure anything bigger is just a waste and for show, none of the competitors I have seen run anything huge, which I think is for reasons of keeping it nimble (which is the XJ's forte')

mk153smaw said:
none of the competitors I have seen run anything huge, which I think is for reasons of keeping it nimble (which is the XJ's forte')

...and also because the classes limit tire size to 35" and 37" for stock-mod and pro-mod, respectively. :)

vetteboy said:
...and also because the classes limit tire size to 35" and 37" for stock-mod and pro-mod, respectively. :)

Oh ok. Once I get a good platform then I am going to look into more of the rules for what I need to have or , hopefully not, remove.

Back