• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are these safe and usable on an xj?

the fact that they call a block a "machined leaf" should be an indicator....

I wouldnt use them as paperweights....

I've heard those are actually pretty good. An improvement over a typical lift block, which is also useful for minor wheelbase adjustments. (I'm not sure why the page/ad specifically mentions Suburbans.)

if you need a wheelbase adjustment, get TNT u-bolt eliminators.

yeah i dont know why you would need them. I know a few v8 s10 people who have used them when they changed drive trains to use the same driveshaft, but I dont think there is any good enough reason to run them.

I have heard of alot of full size chevy guys using them to move their front axles forward. Still doesn't seem safe to me, especially on a front axle.

x2elite said:
I have heard of alot of full size chevy guys using them to move their front axles forward. Still doesn't seem safe to me, especially on a front axle.

its against the law to use any kind of block on the front axle of a vehicle, and for damn good reason. Don't be in front of any of those guys when they try and stop.

To the original poster:

Why do you want to move your axle? If you're running a tire so large as to not fit in the wheelwell, this is for sure not the way to fix it..

They look like a nice enough lift block to me, and it can be usefull to move the axle forward or back a bit. I spent quite a bit of time at a wrecking yard measuring leafs trying to get one that was the proper length and pin offset for the WB I was shooting for. I ended up a little longer then I would like and something like this would be handy to pull it in.

Oh and I am runnig tires much to large to fit in the original wheelwell. The rear axle placement is much to forward to fit large tires and on a 4 door you don't really have much of an option but to move the axle back.

jmop said:
They look like a nice enough lift block to me, and it can be usefull to move the axle forward or back a bit. I spent quite a bit of time at a wrecking yard measuring leafs trying to get one that was the proper length and pin offset for the WB I was shooting for. I ended up a little longer then I would like and something like this would be handy to pull it in.

Oh and I am runnig tires much to large to fit in the original wheelwell. The rear axle placement is much to forward to fit large tires and on a 4 door you don't really have much of an option but to move the axle back.

What size tires? I'm running 35's with RE leafs and I can stuff the rear until the leafs are flat, and the tires tuck perfectly..

cal said:
What size tires? I'm running 35's with RE leafs and I can stuff the rear until the leafs are flat, and the tires tuck perfectly..

Cal, what size lift do you have in the rear?

mathmatically about 6.75", but after the weight of bumpers and winches and such, it measures between 5.5 and 6.

XJ-Poser-Xmas07.jpg

2079706725_9f2e47c3eb.jpg

dsc00039.jpg

http://www.shadowco.org/~cal/offroad/pics/

cal said:
mathmatically about 6.75", but after the weight of bumpers and winches and such, it measures between 5.5 and 6.

Ahh ok, But it looks like you have trimmed quite a bit.

Not as much as you think - no flares makes it look worse than it is. I've trimmed maybe an inch? Maybe a little less.

The flares are sitting in the garage waiting for me to get unlazy and reinstall them.

cal said:
The flares are sitting in the garage waiting for me to get unlazy and reinstall them.

heh, you got a lot of project parts in your garage waiting for you to get unlazy to install, don't you? :)

I've ran these zero rates on my fullsize Chevy Blazer (74 K5). They definitely have their purpose. They are essentially non-degree'd shims, that gave me an additional 1".

A lot of the full size guys run those in the front, as the K5's are leaf sprung front. IMO, they would be no less safe than running degreed shims in the front to adjust pinion angle. These bolt to the shim pack and are stout. I haven't read about or heard from my K5 brothers of any issue with these since they came out from ORD.

yeah i just figured they could be used to move the tire back on an xj seeing as how i notice they are closer to the cab on 4-doors then the rear where there is ample room

waxer said:
heh, you got a lot of project parts in your garage waiting for you to get unlazy to install, don't you? :)

Most of them are waiting on warm weather. ;)

waxer said:
A lot of the full size guys run those in the front, as the K5's are leaf sprung front. IMO, they would be no less safe than running degreed shims in the front to adjust pinion angle. These bolt to the shim pack and are stout. I haven't read about or heard from my K5 brothers of any issue with these since they came out from ORD.

I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly sure at least in Kalifornia shims in the front are against the law now too. I know blocks of all types are.

Mopar It said:
yeah i just figured they could be used to move the tire back on an xj seeing as how i notice they are closer to the cab on 4-doors then the rear where there is ample room

it isnt really necessary though. When the axle droops they go forward, but down, so they usually clear fine. When you compress the axle, they move backwards, where there is plenty of room.

Back