• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil change intervals

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
As you all know I have a 90 cherokee. I am almost a 1,000 miles over due for an oil change. Can this hurt anything on the motor going even 1,000 over. I usually change it around every 3,000 with Valvoline max life 10w-30, and use a fram oil filter. Is changing it every 3,000 good?

megabyte5689 said:
As you all know I have a 90 cherokee. I am almost a 1,000 miles over due for an oil change. Can this hurt anything on the motor going even 1,000 over. I usually change it around every 3,000 with Valvoline max life 10w-30, and use a fram oil filter. Is changing it every 3,000 good?

I use the same oil and change it about every 3500 miles. People freak out about the "3000 mile rule". 3000 miles was good practice when motor oils weren't multi-grade up till the 60's. Now, everyone uses 5w-30, 10w-30 ect. that are detergent oils. Oils of old (they are still sold) were non-detergents, they didnt clean the engine of soot and combustion byproducts nearly as well.
Valvoline Maxlife is a pretty good oil, it holds out well, it is now a synthetic blend.

So, you should be fine. Just dont use FRAM extended gaurd, Penziol, Bosch or generic filters. Fram Tough Gaurd and Purolator Pure one are good fliters. :eeks1:

megabyte5689 said:
How can you tell if the motor oil is non-detergent or not?

Its easy, if your oil is a muli-grade (5w-30 ect) its a detergent type. If the oil is SAE 30 or anything with SAE before the weight, its a ND or non-detergent. I use ND oil with high zinc for breaking in valvetrains and cam swaps. People use it in small engines too. Oh, and the "w" after the first number isn't weight, its winter, the weight of the oil when cold and the second number is weight when hot.

I forgot to ask, what kind of fram filter do you use? I use the fram TG mostly, I like most of frams filter (except the cheap extended gaurds!!)

Cut open any fram and compare it with anything from a NAPA Gold to a Mobil 1 filter.....no fram has as much media as a NAPA Gold, and IIRC, they all use cardboard end caps...

w meaning winter is news to me, thats pretty cool, you learn something new every day...the first number actually has a temp rating - 10w = -20*, 5w = -25*...etc...these are the temps they are "tested" or "rated" at. Generally though, the rule is if your temps are consistantly below 32*F, use a 5w-XX, and if its above, use a 10w. But...oils today are "more multi" than others - I believe you can get 0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-50....so you have a more broad spectrum.

I'm pretty sure I use the $3.48 fram filter that's on the shelf at Wal-mart, I didn't know fram was bad up until now. Then again I didn't know pennzoil was crap either until I started driving

There are 3 or 4 good threads about oil on here...

Some discuss the "new" SM type oils...they have less ZDDP levels (basically zinc and some other minerals/metals) - lower ZDDP levels have a bad effect on "flat tappet" engines (like the 4.0L jeep engine), they dont protect as well. Some of the best oils that people recommend here are Delvac (which i think is made by Mobil1), Shell Rotella-T and Amsoil (plus some other Mobil-1 oils, but i cant remember which ones are good and which are bad). Chevron Delo oil might be pretty good too...

look for SL, or even SJ on the back of motor oil bottles - the 2nd letter has to do with the year that oil "meets the standards of" - if you can find oil with just SJ or SL on the back, and no SM, you should be doing pretty good....

Wix filters, purolator, mobil 1, Napa Gold, Amsoil, motorcraft.....all MUCH better than Fram. next time you change your oil, take a hacksaw and cut the top off of your Fram and take a look inside...

I typically don't get to mine any sooner than 5000 miles, but I drive around 80 to 100 miles per day (mostly highway) and use Wix filters. Usually I'll burn about a quart or just shy of it in that time.

I don't sweat the 3k thing.

I hope you use a good SJ or SL oil....

Just so you guys know All of the fram baseline and TG meet or exceed O.E. specifications. I work for a Penzoil shop, and all of the PZ filters are made by fram. If there is a chance in hell that the dealers tell you otherwise then there is a law stating that they have to change your oil for free. We just went through this with a guy in a 08 TT Powerstroke. He said that the dealership said that if he didn't use a "Motorcraft" filter that it would void his warranty. Motorcraft is the same as the rest they just like to think their shit don't stink. But for you guys going more than the dealer reccomended changes it is a good idea to buy a little better filter. From what I can tell lately, Fram has changed our Penzoil filters alot. They are way more dense inside just from looking at them.

Some may disagree with my schedule for oil changes, but I change my oil every 5K and a new oil filter at 10K.

BUT... with the new reduced zinc level regulations, I'm thinking of changing to synthetic with oil changes at 7.5-8K and filter every other time.

I change my oil every 2000-2500 miles or so, only because I have slowly been flushing away the previous owners dubious oil change schedule.
Really, I think the longest I would leave the oil would be 3k miles. For the negligable price of oil and filter, I feel much better changing these fluids sooner rather then later. That, and in the summer my jeep sees what the manual calls "extreme conditions"; high tempuratures, lotsa dusty logging roads and quite a few "short" drives since my commute to work is only 5 miles, my trip to the grocery store around the same.

megabyte5689 said:
I will never use penzoil in any of my vehicles, unless I just want to destroy a car

For what it's worth (probably nothing) I owned and operated several different kinds of vehicles for 39 years before I purchased my Cherokee in 1999. I used Penzoil in every one of them. Also lawnmowers and every other internal compustion engine I owned. Always used Fram oil filters too. I have never experienced engine failure or any problems related to my use of Penzoil. When I purchased the Cherokee a Jeep dealershp mechanic suggested Valvoline 10w 30 and I have been using it in both of my Cherokees ever since. As to oil filters I usually use Purolator as they sell them in a Western Auto Store I frequent. Currently I have a Fram on my 97 as I needed a fliter and was in Wally World at the time.
I'm not doing a commercial for Penzoil. Just stating it always served me well, but I have not used it since 1999 so perhaps their quality went in the crapper and now it burns up engines by the dozens...Maybe you have some inside info on this.
HT

It is a fact that the Penzoil products used to cause the infamous "sluge" in the motor. But that was like 30 years ago. The refinement process is so tedious (sp) now that they are all just about the same. Also just so you all know, Penzoill is owned by Shell and so is QakerState, therefore the process are probably all the same in those products. Castrol gives out their contract to the lowest bidder so who knows who makes that. The only product I would refuse to use is Havoline becase I can see the difference bottle to bottle when added to the motor. I personally use 10w30 Valvoline MaxLife because of the mileage in my Jeep, 150K on a 99 and the oil is almost as clean as when you put it in after 2500 miles. I usually do 2500-3000 mile intervals on both of my vehicles and use a Penzoil/Fram filter. Never had any problems with sludge or lifter failure or low oil pressure.

I watched a Fram oil filter collapse on the side of a motor once......
I haven't used another one since.

Wix(or Napa Gold) or Purolator(Mobil One) for me...

Oil is simple, look below. :greensmok

7500 miles for everything other than the wheeling Jeep(it barfs up too much oil)

Mobil One High Milage is the Mobil One oil that still has the SL rating and the higher levels of ZDDP necessary for the flat-tappet cam motors.

Last edited:
Back