• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker clunk ???

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a locker in my D30, according to the post (on naxja) all the test were good it seemed to be fine. I took it in the snow and it clunked real bad. I swapped out the NP242 drive chain and it still clunks but not as bad. Is there a brake in time for the EZ locker? And what do the thrust washers do? I used the same ones that were in the carrier, are they very important?

It shouldn't clunk at all. Maybe if you are turning and using little to no throttle in 4wd. In 2wd it should be invisible.

If it is POPPING instead of clunking you have a problem. Imagine someone hitting your diff cover with a hammer. If it sounds like that, something is wrong with either the housing or the locker.

Since you have a 242 it will make noise on turns slow speed or u-turns even in 2wd. If you a disconnect front axle then it wouldn't do that in 2wd. Driving straight or higher speed it should be fine.

Good info, The first big clunk was the chain spining over the gear in the T-case. New chain and its good. The clunk in the front end sounds like maybe the case is getting hit by a hammer, but deeper. If that makes any sense. I have jacked it up, spun one tire good ratchet sounds (both side). Im not sure what it is.

Back