• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges are screwed up and seats

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so i got an 89 XJ. My power seats dont wanna move anymore and i have no idea where to start looking.

And all the gauges on my cluster dont work excpet the speedo, they all read either way off the chart or just dont move. I think its a short somewhere, but where should i start looking.

Take ur seats out and put in manual seats out of the junk yard. Got mine for 50$ a piece. Then get oil pressure gauge, temp gauge and gas gauge and a tripod gauge and mount it above ur shifter under the ashtray wit the console. Thats what i did works great.

Check the fuses and circuit breakers in the fusebox under the driverside dash. Most wiring shorts for seats happen under the carpeting. I just had one where the connector under the carpet near the center console had gotten water in it and corroded through the terminal. New connector/terminals and it works like new. Also this same vehicle had the power mirrors not working which was a cut wire under the carpet near the front on the drivers seat.

The clutch motors in the seats tend to die of old age. The driver side on my 91 beater will move if nobody is sitting in it but the clutch just buzzes if anybody is in it.

The whole seat assembly is crap really. There's a jeep yard about 40 min from my house and every single one of them is missing the driver's side seat--they were all snagged for replacements.

The speedo is run by cable, so that will always work until the cable breaks. Depending on the year, the coolant temp gauge is run by either it's own sensor on the back left corner of the cylinder head, or an output from the PCM. The gas gauge is run by a sensor in the tank. The tach is from the PCM. And the oil pressure is from a sensor on the oil filter housing.

Does the backlighting work?

If it's not a power or ground issue, it's probably bad gauges. Cheaper to go aftermarket as already suggested, but a little more work to run wires etc.

Back