• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking Trackbar Solved

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I worked out several issues over the last couple of weeks. Maybe someone can benefit from this if they search... especially since every day there seems to be a thread about a clunking front end.

So I had this clunk in my front end... I figured it was the track bar. I stitch welded the mount to the unibody, put the monkey on the adjustable track bar's jam nut, plated the front side of track bar mount on the axle because the hole was egged out, and still had a clunk when turning sometimes.

After a trip to Windrock, it got really bad. This was really good because it was so exagerrated that I could see what was happening. The back hole on the axle mount for the track bar was egged out pretty bad. I thought about cutting out the whole mount and building a new one, but I have an adjustable track bar, so I just drilled a new hole for the bolt about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the right of the old one. That got rid of the clunk and the steering is tighter than it has been in many years. If you think you have eliminated every possibility, check that back hole. It's hard to see if it's loose unless you take your track bar off and put the bolt back in the hole. Just a tiny bit of play equals a pretty significant clunk.

Thanks for the heads-up. That is one place that I hadn't thought of checking for wear.

Back