• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closed to open conversion cooling

My Jeep still has the closed system and it works great . I have converted a couple of XJs in the past and it worked fine . However as long as you know how to burp it its all good .
The best way to burp a closed system is to pull the temp sensor on the rear drivers side of the head letting the air out , when antifreeze comes out of that hole put the sensor back in. Make sure to park at a angle so that the front of the vehicle is facing down before you begin .

I've heard the open system heats faster. But of course if you have a bad thermostat like me its going to take a while to heat up.

:helpme: I took a look at the conversion site. What psi radiator cap would you use with the new filler? With this set--up I assume you can eliminate the burp bottle and the line that goes to it? Shouldn't the new filler/cap be higher than any other part of the cooling system?

I've heard the open system heats faster. But of course if you have a bad thermostat like me its going to take a while to heat up
megabyte, im running with out a thermostat. took it out after the hose to the heater blew out on me ($80 @ dealer), mine is a closed system too. just make sure that the metal hose with that funny looking wire & lever are in good shape, other wise it'll put ya in a bad mood fast.

I got a new 91-up all metal radiator, new 91-96 heater hoses, 91-96 heater control valve, and aftermarket overflow bottle.

I took the old radiator out and with a propane torch removed the aux cooling fan temp switch bung, cut a hole in the new radiator in the same place and soldered in on. Now it's a drop in job.

i just did the swap but mine wont stay cool and i am pretty sure its cause the radiator is clogged and there is no heat lol bad stereo install

Back