• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console/map/lights/etc

im sure it will go in provided you can find or make mounting points and wire it all in. its simple, it has to be. its only 4 12vdc lights. i got lucky. mine has one from the factory.

I would doubt it is plug n play. And I have this in my 91, but it only has a compass and external temp display. Not sure if they added all the other stuff in 92, but I would ask. Plus, you have to have the sensor for the temp as it is not located in the console but up around the front bumper.

JEEPZZ said:
NO, you're much better off getting one from the 97-01 XJ.

Why is that? Elaborate. Oh I see, because he has a 97. May be worth it for me tho with a 93 eh JeepZZ

The seller is lying about this item. IT only has the temperature and compass nothing fancy about it. Don't buy it. not worth the time or energy to install a sunglass holder with a compas and temp guage. You would be better off paying more money for a rear view mirror that dimms automatically and has the compass and temp. guage.

True 'dat. The overheads are not very good, and you can get a mirror with more features and better map lights to boot.

You could also roll your own overhead with the Bell compartments, although you would really need some kind of backing support (theirs just tape on by default I think).

There's a company in Australia that makes a bunch of custom consoles, some of them are really nice:

PatrolGU_low.jpg

Unfortunately they are aussie so everything is on the wrong side and upside down (they don't have any left-side drive consoles)

I have the stock overhead console and I don't really car for it at all, yeah it's nice having some additional lights and a temp. guage but I could live without it.

tkjeeper said:
Why is that? Elaborate. Oh I see, because he has a 97. May be worth it for me tho with a 93 eh JeepZZ
Yep, if you've got a 84-96 I'd stick with the early style console but the 97+ XJ's are easier to mount the newer style console. Also, the 97+ console's features with the mini-computer will only work in the 97-01 XJ.

splitz said:
There's a company in Australia that makes a bunch of custom consoles, some of them are really nice:

PatrolGU_low.jpg

Nice but $325 is way to expensive! I love my overhead

switch3.jpg

And it only cost me $25 at the pick and pull
Good deal, mine came free with the Jeep.

I'd still rather have the $300 one though, the CB holder the mesh netting, the directional map lights (instead of fixed positions), all that stuff is nice.

Yeah i added this to my '92 Sport, all i had to do was get the harness from the overhead unit to the under dash plug, then from a plug near the coolent bottle to behind the bumper, to a sensor... all of it for $3 from a local junkyard, the '97+ should be the same if not easier, and if i'm not mistaken the '93-'98 ZJ are the same as the '97-'01 XJ. It does not do much but it is nice to have, hope this helps.

There's a XJ around the local junkyard that has an overhead console. I think it might even be close to my year. I know it's the older version. Can someone tip me in on how they're mounted and what I'll need. I don't want to break it getting it out. When you go to put it in, does it mount up to the existing spots?

i only have a 1992, i have not payed much attention to the 97+ xj style and '93-'98 zj style... only that they appear the same... from 100ft away... in the fog... without my glasses on, thats all.

AlabamaDan said:
I'd like to see that console in the light. What's all the lights? Switches?

Yes, they are switches that are turned on. Here is a pic of them turned off.

switch2.jpg

They are for:
Arb Compressor
Arb Front Locker
Arb Rear Locker
TBD
TBD
Master Light
Roof Rack Outer lights
Roof Rack Inner lights
Fog Lamps
Backup Lights

splitz said:
Yes, they are switches that are turned on. Here is a pic of them turned off.

They are for:
Arb Compressor
Arb Front Locker
Arb Rear Locker
TBD
TBD
Master Light
Roof Rack Outer lights
Roof Rack Inner lights
Fog Lamps
Backup Lights

NICELY done!!!!! :wave1: :cheers: