• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ rear disc question

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got everything swapped over to the 8.25 for rear disks....but I have a couple questions.

First off, what did you guys do about the proportioning valve? Did you leave it stock? Swap it out for the ZJ one? Remove an O ring?

Second, what E-brake cables did you use? Ive seen a few different write-ups where the stock XJ cables have been cut and made to work, but im not sure which is the best route to go with.

Third, after I stop, then start to pull out again, there is a slight moan that sounds like the rear calipers arent completely releasing unitl I get moving faster. Could this be because of the proportioning valve? Any suggestions as to what it is?

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions and or help! I appreciate it.

Last edited:
xjchris98 said:
Well I got everything swapped over to the 8.25 for rear disks....but I have a couple questions.

First off, what did you guys do about the proportioning valve? Did you leave it stock? Swap it out for the ZJ one? Remove an O ring?

Second, what E-brake cables did you use? Ive seen a few different write-ups where the stock XJ cables have been cut and made to work, but im not sure which is the best route to go with.

Third, after I stop, then start to pull out again, there is a slight moan that sounds like the rear calipers arent completely releasing unitl I get moving faster. Could this be because of the proportioning valve? Any suggestions as to what it is?

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions and or help! I appreciate it.

First, I used the stock proportioning valve. I removed the oring... not sure why but I did and it works fine...

Second, I don't have an e-brake - its auto! E-brakes are over rated!

Third, I i'm pretty sure that the prop valve wouldnt cause that. One thing you might want to check are your brake linesm, especially if they are still rubber lines. Rubber lines have a tendancy to break down on the inside and not let the fluid flow back through. This will cause the brakes to stay on for a lil bit and eventually work loose. Just thought...

how did you hook the ZJ caliper up to the 8.25? im getting ready to do this swap and dont know what to to about this step? does the 8.25 brake line fit the ZJ caliper or does it have to be moded

Back