• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone replaced pinion seals?

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard that it's difficult and the pinion seal on my D30 is leaking like a mother... should I do it, or should i pay someone to do it?

It's pretty easy.

I'd do it.

Just make sure you torque the pinion nut down properly when done. 200 FT/lbs.

Thats going to be a problem since his axle has a crush sleeve not shims!!

His 2000 D30 has a crush sleeve?

If so, then just mark the nut and pinion shaft with a line, and count the number of threads showing. When you put it back on, put it back with the same amount of threads showing and line up your mark. Done deal.

That's the crush sleeve method.

I gave you the shim method up above. :)

I have no fucking clue what you're talking about... Sorry, i haven't done too much discussion w/ the driveline stuff. I just did my first SYE last week...

What's a Crush sleeve? and whats a shim method?

It has to do with how the pinion preload was setup on a given axle.

On my D30 (92 XJ), the pinion preload is setup with shims.

On yours, the pinion preload is setup with a crush sleeve.

So to do the work that you need done, you have to know which setup you have, and that will determine which method you will use to get the job done.

It has to do with the method the pinion bearing pre-load is set.On HP D30's it is done by using shims and will not change(in the case of a seal replacement).On the LP D30 the pre-load is set by a sleeve that actually "crushes" when being torqued,they are a 1-shot deal when setting the pre-load and you need to buy a new one each time.

hmm... anyone have a good write up on how to do this? It doesn't seem to difficult to do, but I'd like to have some decent instructions...

The problem with setting preload is the the carrier has to be removed to do it.

remove the nut and swap the seal its pretty easy depending on the seal you can remove the seal with a chissle,hammer and a screw driver just crush the seal in toward the pinion in a few spots and it should pop right out with a screw driver.

yeah, i went to get my oil changed at firestone today... i asked them to give me a quote on replacing the seal: 223 dollars.

I've got air tools at the fraternity house... I guess I'll just knock it out one free weekend.

Mines out too....

you don't wanna use air tools on your pinion nut, especially with a crush sleeve.

Loosening it would be ok, but by all means, do NOT tighten it with an air tool.

Remember, you have to put that nut back on exactly where it is now. So mark it with a line across both sides of the nut and on the pinion shaft. So that way you can put it back where it was. Make sure the same amount of threads are showing that it had before you loosened it. If you overtighten it, you further crush that crush sleeve and tweak your pinion preload.

no, I know not to tighten it with an air tool. I'm just talking about removing it.

so what else do i have to do in this replacement...

mark location
pull nut off
pull pinion off
pull shit seal out
put new seal in
tighten nut down to mark...?

or do i have to open up the front of the diff and pull gears?
put

ty20404 said:
no, I know not to tighten it with an air tool. I'm just talking about removing it.

so what else do i have to do in this replacement...

mark location
pull nut off
pull pinion off
pull shit seal out
put new seal in
tighten nut down to mark...?

or do i have to open up the front of the diff and pull gears?
put

Mark location, count number of threads showing at your mark.
Pull nut off.
Pull yoke off, clean it well and be careful with seal mating surface.
Pull out old seal
Clean mating surface
Use a little RTV all around mating surface
Evenly tap in new seal, lubricate seal with gear oil
Reinstall Yoke (in same location/orientation it was before)
Reinstall pinion nut (use some blue loctite, it acts as a lubricant during assembly)
Tighten down no further than location it was before.
Drink beer, as you completed your mission.

And pray!!Since thats not the "proper" method.Ive never had any luck with this method on either my D30 or 8,25",ended replacing the pinon bearings again,after a brand new install!!Good Luck!

Last time I tried to remove mine... I just ended up spinning the tires

RCP Phx said:
And pray!!Since thats not the "proper" method.Ive never had any luck with this method on either my D30 or 8,25",ended replacing the pinon bearings again,after a brand new install!!Good Luck!

I've been successful with this method on 3 axles. I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work.

But, to each his own.

Back